Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 leonie subaru ticking prob (keeps comming back)

stewandy
01-30-2007, 02:49 AM
I own a 92 sub leonie. i had this problem of it ticking (pinging) 4 awhile now. Its like the oil isnt getting to the cam shafts at all because doesnt sound like its pinging from one side of th block. Its very common in this model so i observe n hear about. Thought i fix it by flushing it clean n doing several oil changes. From thick to thin ive tryed alternating the oil and higher octane in fuel. Fixes 4 awhile n then booom !! its back. i'm ashuming its oil pump now hasnt gone away awhile 4 like 1week in half... usual goes when i take 4 long spin or rev shit out of it sometimes lol

Anyone got any ideas if u no please help..

Regards stewy:)

somick
01-30-2007, 03:40 PM
I asume this is EA82, since it is 92 Subaru.

Lot of ticking is caused by a so called Micky Mouse gasket in the oil pump. It gets socked in by itself due to aging or sometimes due to incorret installation.
Replacing it though takes some time since it is envolved with openning timing belt covers.

Another source of ticking might be HLA (hydraulick lifters).

Sam

stewandy
01-31-2007, 12:14 AM
yeh thats correct its a ea82, i c makes sense y the noise comes back time to time. if the oil pump was blocked by that ring. sounds like a big job to replace this stupid thing lol and prob cost alot of money to get someone to do it. So if i was to take oil pump out... is there anything i should change on the pump??? not really sure how it works but yeh u get the idea of PUMP! lol

Stewy

somick
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
The entire job takes me about 4 hours.

You need to remove:

1. Two drive belts
2. Cooling fan
3. Timing belt covers. (Very stubborn thing: 10 mm bolts usualy stock and you eventualy will have to pry them out)

Oil pump itself is held by 3 bolts if I remeber it right and relatively easy to remove. Haynes manual contains exact measurments for it. If it is still within specifications the new seals kit cost about 20 dollars at Kragen.

Good luck,

Sam

Edit: I see you live in Australia! Sorry for that comment about Kragen!

somick
01-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Some people remove AC but I manage to do it without it.

One mechanic told me that it is easier to remove radiator. You will have more room to work. But once again I leave it intact. Just cover it wiht cardboard for protection.

And of course while you are on it, it is worth to replace timing belts and verify integrity of all the components: tensioners, springs, and idling sproket.

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!