Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mesh Hose in the U.S.?

bhop73
01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
This is actually a 2 question thread.. I have searched, but couldn't really find the info I needed.

1: Does anybody make mesh hose for large scale? (1/12) or any detail parts? I can't seem to find much..

2: Are there any U.S. stores that sell this stuff? I don't want to order from Japan if at all possible since it usually takes forever to get stuff shipped..

edit: see my 3rd post below for the place to get it

Scale-Master
01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
I saw what I think you are looking for at Pegasus Hobbies in Monclair CA just last Friday. They have a website... - Mark

bhop73
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I saw what I think you are looking for at Pegasus Hobbies in Monclair CA just last Friday. They have a website... - Mark

Thanks, i'll check it out.

bhop73
01-29-2007, 10:13 PM
So in my search for mesh hose (guess i meant braided hose.. heh, heh.. ) at hobby shops specializing in model cars, I completely forgot about my online acquaintance who specializes in mecha kits (Gundam, etc.) He has some mesh hose.. for anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.mechaskunk.com/store.htm

Modelcrafters.GP
01-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Please also check our shop, we're based in Vancouver and have a variety of mesh hoses, A/N fittings and other aftermarket items for 1/12 - 1/43 scales that might work for what you're trying to model.

www.modelcraftersgp.com

grimmy
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
but why would you want to spend 2.50 plus s&h for fiberglass when you can get coax cable at your local electronics store for cheaper and have actual metal.

bhop73
01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
but why would you want to spend 2.50 plus s&h for fiberglass when you can get coax cable at your local electronics store for cheaper and have actual metal.

nobody mentioned it... I didn't know it existed..

daklunk
01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I was never able to find correctly sized coax, the stuff I found had minimal wire and large gaps, and it was huge. I doubt you will get the tiny stuff either. That link looks good to me, fiberglass, interesting. www.detailmaster.com has 6 or 7 sizes in metal only, your LHS might carry them also. It's what I've been using, I like it OK...

bhop73
01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
..fiberglass, interesting...

Some Bandai Gundam models have this same stuff and i've built a few. I'm sure it'll work for my needs as long as I got the right size... :uhoh:

proosen
01-31-2007, 01:54 AM
There is small enough coax out there. This is my way of doing my own braides hoses, for some reason this thread always starts in the middle but just scroll up a little bit and you'll see what I mean.
(It's possible to kind of "shrink" the actuall "stocking" by rolling it between your your fingers.)
Any way, here's the link: Hose tutorial (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1946867) and here's some I made for my 1/24McLaren: To my fotopic (http://niclasproos.fotopic.net/c193023.html)

Good luck!
Niclas

NOMADGAMER
01-31-2007, 07:15 AM
do you have a part number for your radioshack co-axial?

bhop73
01-31-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey proosen, that's a nice little tutorial. If i'd known about the coaxial cable before I ordered the hose, I would give it a try. I'll definitely be bookmarking that tut' though, those fittings can still be useful.

bobss396
01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Detail Master makes braided line, which sometimes winds up looking too flat. I use a .030 diameter piece of shielded wire that I got from a friend. I also have some .055-.060 wire. I know it comes in bigger sizes but the stuff is the way to go. Try eBay for surplus wire rolls, many places that use them commercially toss them out if they get too old.

Bob

proosen
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
do you have a part number for your radioshack co-axial?

This is what I will use instead of scrapping a complete cord.
The thinest one will do for 1/24-25 scale, it has an inner diameter of 1.98 mm but can be shrunk by rolling it so it gets compressed a bit.

This is from a swedish company that sells what ever you need in electronics, it's called ELFA (http://www.elfa.se) and it's available in english too.

This is from their site

Tinned copper braids
http://www.elfa.se/images/highres/h224.jpg
Mfr. Alpha Wire
Tinned copper braids. Supplied in round shape. Provides about 95 % screen cover when it is pulled over the cable or cable hank of corresponding diameter.
Made of tinned copper wire.

Niclas

dingmyride
02-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Bhop73,

Here is the answer to your prayers my friend! :smokin:

Well, maybe the one about braided hose at least.....

I build 1/12 scale cars as well and ran into the same problem, and also looked at the coax cable and aftermarket hose supposedly just for 1/12 scale models, none really impressed, either the weave was too big, or the cable just went flat as soon as it took a turn. :disappoin

One day while down at my local electronics store I came across this stuf, a woven type spaghetti tube for insulating wires.

OK, it's not silver, but, nothing a good coat of the right paint wont fix, in addition its easy to cut (with scissors), can buy in decent lengths (I have some up to 1 mtr long), doesn't leave nasty little metal splinters when cut, you can insert some normal type hookup wire through it so it stays 'pumped out' when doing bends, Oh, and it's cheap as dirt and comes in a heap of different sizes!

Just give it a couple of coats of chrome silver paint (spray), the first couple will probably cover up the weave texture, but as it dries it kind of soaks in. I normally do about 3 coats, 2 fairly quickly after each other, leave for about 10 minutes then the 3rd and you're done.

I'd post some pics if it wasn't such a PITA to do! Spent the last 10 minutes trying to figure it out and still can't get it....in the words of the great Forrest Gump...'I'm not a smart man Jenny'!

Let me know if you would like and I can email you directly with them

Hope this helps. :2cents:

Colin

P.S What are you building?

Add your comment to this topic!