Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mitsubishi Eclipse

theOmni
01-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Since Im getting a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, I was thinking that it'd be cool too make my own kit of the car. I looked on eBay and I couldn't find the Mitsu Eclipse kits by companies other than AMT and sizes other than 1/25 or smaller. Is there a Tamiya or a non-American kit out there that's decent?

freakray
01-29-2007, 11:49 AM
No, you're stuck with Revell for AMT with their less than accurate offerings.

blubaja
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I thought all DSMs were only US models? As in, never sold in the JDmarket? Why would a Japanese model company make an American sold Japanese branded car? That would be like them selling Tundra kits in Japan.

theOmni
01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I thought all DSMs were only US models? As in, never sold in the JDmarket? Why would a Japanese model company make an American sold Japanese branded car? That would be like them selling Tundra kits in Japan.

I don't see anythihng wrong with that. Ferarris, Lamborghinis, and many other exotics sold only in Europe are made by Tamiya.

freakray
01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Ferarris, Lamborghinis, and many other exotics sold only in Europe are made by Tamiya.

You're sure of that?

bhop73
01-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I would recommend the Revell kit. It's not great, but it's the best of the 2 available. The Fast n Furious model doesn't even have the 4g63 engine.. it's got the 420a (the one from the RS-GS)

That's a common misconception, but the Eclipse(turbo only) was in fact exported to Japan and Europe in limited numbers, keeping its left hand drive configuration too. The only real changes for local laws being folding mirrors, different tail lights (had to have orange turn signals) and they also changed the wheels for the JDM market. (ever play Gran Turismo? That's what teirs looks like) For the 1G they got both FWD and AWD, but for the 2g, they only got the FWD models. (coupe and spyder).

This page is in japanese, but the links on the left go to cars
http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity/8168/history/history.html

theOmni
01-29-2007, 06:59 PM
You're sure of that?
I didn't only mean Europe. If y ou look at the Lamborghini Cheetah, an off-road vehicle, it was made only for the U.S. military, yet Tamiya has still sold model kits of the vehicle.

And bhop, thanks for your input. ALl the revell models I've seen are 1/25. Is there a 1/24 or something bigger by any chance?

freakray
01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I didn't only mean Europe. If y ou look at the Lamborghini Cheetah, an off-road vehicle, it was made only for the U.S. military, yet Tamiya has still sold model kits of the vehicle.

I've never seen a kit of the Cheetah, at least not in the sportscar range. In fact, the only Cheetah kit I can find from Tamiya is in their RC range.

If you're going to argue a manufacturer like Tamiya made 'x' kit, it's best to keep it to their range of models which our hobby actually encompasses.

bhop73
01-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Let's face facts, outside of the U.S., DSM's aren't that popular. Most likely because they're probably not that well known. Sure Tamiya makes some obscure cars, but the ones they do make are well known worldwide, so I doubt it'd be a huge money maker in the grand scheme of things.

Jay!
01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Let's face facts, outside of the U.S., DSM's aren't that popular.
Because: Why look at an Eclipse whe you could have an Lancer Evo? ;)

bhop73
01-29-2007, 10:10 PM

Heh.. well, personally I can't argue with that although I know a few dsm owners that don't care for 4 door sedans. One friend prefers his GSX over his mom's Evo because of styling. He road races it at Willow Springs raceway and did a mid 12 second 1/4 mile run at a drag strip. His modifications have put it at near Evo performance level!

hirofkd
01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
The first and second and third gen Eclipse were sold in Japan, but with the added freight cost, wrong seating position etc, there was no way they could compete with other specialty coupes like the Celica, Silvia and Prelude, not to mention Mitsu's own 3000GT.

The reason why Tamiya kitted the Cheetah was not because of the car's exclusivity, but the popularity among Japanese kids of that time. The so-called "supercar boom" of the 70s in Japan was equivalent to the Pokemon phenomena of the 90s.

daklunk
01-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Because 2G GSX owns all :evillol:
No, seriously, 2G is one of my favorite cars, IMHO a very beautiful shape and awesome preformance and strong engines (albeit none too reliable :uhoh: ), love these cars...

The Revell is really a very good kit as far as detail goes, unless you want bone stock. I got a about 1000+ different ref pics of this car, so as far as engine, chassis, and suspension detail goes it is quite accurate. There is no stock body kit (Team_MPH is making one and I will be too one day, hopefully in resin) and the rear seat has been deleted in favor of an OK audio panel and a nitrous bottle. The seats are Sparcos (and tiny compared to other 1:25 seats) and there aren't any vents in the door, but like I said, unless you want bone stock, fantastic kit. I've bought five, built 4 :icon16:

theOmni
01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I love the Eclipse. I really love the performance and the styling (the first 2nd generation), althrough Mitsu has killed all that with the third gen. Eclipse :( .

XeVeNskyLiNE
01-29-2007, 11:33 PM

$$$

And I agree, after the 2nd gen, the Eclipse became the ultimate girl's car.

ddtham
02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Heh.. well, personally I can't argue with that although I know a few dsm owners that don't care for 4 door sedans. One friend prefers his GSX over his mom's Evo because of styling. He road races it at Willow Springs raceway and did a mid 12 second 1/4 mile run at a drag strip. His modifications have put it at near Evo performance level!

If your friend's Eclipse ran mid 12s, it'll kill stock Evo for sure.

Add your comment to this topic!