popping noise in rear when turning

cyal8er
01-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi all, I have a slight problem that I really cant figure out where the noise is coming from. First off the problem or pop noise that I hear is like something is binding on the rear passenger side when I make a right hand turn..BUT the funny thing is it only does this when the roads are wet or its really cold outside..any ideas? I do distinctly hear the noise coming from the passenger side wheel area just so you know.
Maybe this..and it may be the problem area...when the truck is sitting on a level surface I notice when looking at it from the rear that the passenger side sags just a little bit but noticeable, its been like this since I bought the truck used 2 years ago. I took it to a local shop and they could not see anything visually wrong and since it was dry out that day I couldnt get it to make that noise when turning.
My guess is since that left side sags a bit it puts more pressure when the body is flexing and when making that right hand turn, it then makes that 'pop' like something binding...but why only when wet? could it just be a bad shock or broken leaf on the leaf springs? (remember it only does this in wet weather or very cold days)..any ideas, I'd like to hear from anyone on this..thanks!!

Mark
Kent, Ohio

Blue Bowtie
01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Have you checked the brake and wheel bearing at the right rear?

Is this an AWD or 2WD truck?

cyal8er
01-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Have you checked the brake and wheel bearing at the right rear?

Is this an AWD or 2WD truck?

Thanks for the reply, yes I had brakes done on the whole truck recently but the problem was there like I said since I bought the truck and it is a 4x4 Sonoma Highrider model with extended cab. I have not checked the rear wheel bearings though but wouldnt the wheel bearing pop even on dry pavement when turning? I'm still wondering if its something in the suspension since the truck leans slightly on the passenger side all the time. To sorta level out the truck I put a sand bag inside the bed on the left side. Sure would be nice to get it level again...think maybe its a bad leaf spring or even the passenger side torsion bar?

muddog321
01-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Year needed. Could be the torsion bars or many others things. The rear mounts are a known problem on older models (rubber mount sepates) and even the 98up have a rubber/metal hanging mount that can flex sideways if worn and you can add large washers to stablize it but requires removing the bar first and then geasing there after. Could be a cracked frame weld where the bars insert into the frame area (had that) and check both sides as the sound under is really hard to pinpoint. Then rear springs binding, rubber mounts, a-arms, shocks, brake caliper slides, ABS, shocks, rear end (check/chage gear oil) posi unit, etc - narrow it down some more.

cyal8er
01-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Year needed. Could be the torsion bars or many others things. The rear mounts are a known problem on older models (rubber mount sepates) and even the 98up have a rubber/metal hanging mount that can flex sideways if worn and you can add large washers to stablize it but requires removing the bar first and then geasing there after. Could be a cracked frame weld where the bars insert into the frame area (had that) and check both sides as the sound under is really hard to pinpoint. Then rear springs binding, rubber mounts, a-arms, shocks, brake caliper slides, ABS, shocks, rear end (check/chage gear oil) posi unit, etc - narrow it down some more.

The year of the truck is a 2000 with only 50k miles on it. yeah, I'm leaning towards the idea of the torsion bar on right side since it sounds something like metal to metal when the popping sound occurs. Also doesn't the torsion bar set the ride height of the truck which would be creating my leaning on the passenger side?
Its very hard to pinpoint since the truck has to be moving and I'm driving, but to narrow it down some more the noise only occurs when the truck goes over a bump or the rear suspension goes over uneven pavement such as turning into a driveway that goes uphill or downhill from the road. Sometimes just going straight but really most of the time its when making that right hand turn, hope this helps a little more, thanks for helping too.

Mark

muddog321
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
The newer models like yours have the bars that do not normally shift - I thought mine were so did the whole remove add washer etc and it turned out to be the frame weld up front - hard to see so had the wife (yes really) go a few feet they stop fast as I lay down to look under (but off to the side anyway ha ha) and finally saw that frame bracket lift/open up off the main frame at the weld line. I saw another zr2 with this problem reported after I posted my fix - welded it. Look closely cause I went thru many things before I found it.

cyal8er
01-29-2007, 09:48 PM
The newer models like yours have the bars that do not normally shift - I thought mine were so did the whole remove add washer etc and it turned out to be the frame weld up front - hard to see so had the wife (yes really) go a few feet they stop fast as I lay down to look under (but off to the side anyway ha ha) and finally saw that frame bracket lift/open up off the main frame at the weld line. I saw another zr2 with this problem reported after I posted my fix - welded it. Look closely cause I went thru many things before I found it.

so you think its a broken weld on the frame but I'm a little confused at where you say to look. To me the sound is coming from the rear axle area. If it was something like this would that be the reason the truck is leaning slightly to the passenger side? You say another zr2 had this problem after you posted your fix...do you have the link to your posted thread? thanks for helping out on this btw

Add your comment to this topic!