Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Roots Supercharger with an intercooler... is there a point?

Tach Holiday
01-28-2007, 03:11 AM
ok, this is probably a dumb question, but here it goes anyway.

I'm not sure if there are roots types that dont sit right on top of the motor, and replace the intake manifold, (there probably are, but those aren't the ones I'm talking about) but the ones that DO, push the air straight into the motor... the only place in the whole equation for an intercooler to be added would be before the air is compressed... sooo... why would you put an intercooler on?

... anyone?

-Jayson-
01-28-2007, 12:28 PM
you dont, you use whats called an aftercooler or a water-air cooler. Instead of cooling the air with air, you cool the air with water. Similar to air cooling, you have a radiator that the water is cooled with the air, like an intercooler, but instead of the air from the charger being cooled by the outside air, its cooled by the water. This is usually something incorperated into the supercharger itself.

slideways...
01-28-2007, 01:40 PM
exactly. and there is a very big point. superchargers, especially roots types, heat up air much more than turbos. supercharger intercooling is critical for engine durability and power.

CivRacer95
01-28-2007, 05:23 PM
you dont, you use whats called an aftercooler or a water-air cooler. Instead of cooling the air with air, you cool the air with water. Similar to air cooling, you have a radiator that the water is cooled with the air, like an intercooler, but instead of the air from the charger being cooled by the outside air, its cooled by the water. This is usually something incorperated into the supercharger itself.

Most people that I know, tend to call an aftercooler, supercooler, air to air cooler an "intercooler". When speaking of Superchargers. But hey, most of those people are Canadien, eh...

Tach Holiday
01-30-2007, 02:00 AM
yeah, but dont roots style superchargers usually just push the air straight into the engine after its compressed? i mean im talking about the type that just sit on the top of the motor... i could see maybe an intercooler that uses co2, or cold water before hand...

-Jayson-
01-30-2007, 11:31 AM
no, most superchargers push the air into the engine, but before that they push it through a radiotor thats directly connected to the blower.

So you have something like this, just picture them all stacked ontop of eachother. The blower is connected to the aftercooler, which is connected to the engine. The aftercooler runs water through it, the water is pumped from the aftercooler to a radiator thats mounted in the front bumper. The water for the aftercooler is cooled by the atmospher air that is pushed through the bumper.

BLOWER HERE
Aftercooler here-Runs water to a radiotor in the bumper. Just like an engines radiator system.
Engine Here

mr3000
03-13-2009, 03:05 AM
I know this is a really old thread but I had a question after finding it in a search. Instead of an aftercooler could a direct-port water-methanol injection system be used to cool the compressed air that the roots supercharger is forcing in??

-The Stig-
03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm no expert on Roots Superchargers and Aftercooling, but I don't see why not.

CassiesMan
03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm no expert on Roots Superchargers and Aftercooling, but I don't see why not.

If it'll keep the charge cool then I'm with Stiggy, I don't see a problem. Though, from what I'm reading, you just want to spray meth to cool instead of using a cooler? I dunno if I'd want to trust just a meth spray to cooling in case the system would fail spraying meth, or you start to run low. Of course, if you just have it spraying at WOT under boost, like on most turbo cars, I think it should be ok.

GForce957
03-13-2009, 04:11 PM
My friend has a roots s/c and uses water/meth instead of an aftercooler. It was cheaper and similar power gains and cooling

mr3000
03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Yea I was thinking as long as a 5 gallon meth tank was used it would last for quite some time, and from what I've read using meth ups the octane to equal or near race gas levels!!

Add your comment to this topic!