Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing ignition...

JTrujillo86
01-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anyone out there have or know where I can find detailed instructions on how to replace the ignition cylinder and the BCM?

Since I owned the car (24,425 miles) the security light would come on every now and then while I was driving, but would never effect the car...only the light would come on. I had the BCM replaced under warranty at around 60K miles. That seemed to fix the problem for a while, but now the light comes on about 1 minute after starting the car and stays on. This happens EVERY time I start the car. I took it in and the stealership said the ignition cylinder and the BCM are shot and need replacing. He quoted me $850, but I'm in college and can't afford it.

I need to figure out how to do this without the dealership and would love any help you guys can give.

Also, I don't know if this would solve my problem, but I've heard there is a wire I can cut to bypass the passlock system...is this possible? Would it fix my issue?

Thanks,

- Jeremy.

BTW, its a 2002 3.4L V6 with 70K miles on it.

xeroinfinity
01-27-2007, 08:05 PM
It is hard to say one way or the other if any of the stuff you do fixes your security troubles.

The igntion switch goes out where the radio is.
Two bolts hold it in from front, 3 wiring harness connectors.
And Not alot of room to work.

But the BCM is easy.
Remove the glove box, its the black box with three wire connectors.
Push it to the right, lifts out. Unplug connectors.

Have you tried cleaning the switch with compressed air ?

If the key it worn out or has alot of dangly things on it,
this can make that security light come on periodicly.

IMO its not worth messing with trying to bypass the passlock.

JTrujillo86
01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your help. I will start with replacing the BCM and see what happens. I'm highly skeptical, though, of the dealer because the BCM was just replaced 10K miles ago. We'll see what happens. How much should a BCM cost me? I'm gonna check GMPartsDirect.com first and go from there.

Any other suggestions?

- Jeremy

BNaylor
01-28-2007, 12:18 AM
If you replace the BCM with a new one it will need to be programmed/initialized by a GM dealer. I'd go with the ignition switch key cylinder.

The problem with Passlock bypasses is you may still get the security light even though the car will start and run fine.

xeroinfinity
01-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Yes that new BCM will need a relearn from the dealer or some other qualified shop.

The bcm from GM partdirect is $167.16.
You can find used one's, but they need to match your cars options, ie power door locks, stereo model, AC, etc.

I'd try the ignition switch first, since the bcm is pretty new.
Ignition switch #12458191 is $112.31.

JTrujillo86
01-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Here's another "I'm stupid" questions: I checked out the lock cylinder on GMPartsDirect.com and it says "Lock Cylinder w/Keys". Is there anyway I can get the lock cylinder to work with keys I already have for my car? I don't want to have separate keys for the doors and for the ignition.

Thanks for your help!

- Jeremy

JTrujillo86
01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Also, my keyless entry is not working. I replaced the battery in the key fob and it still works when it wants to. This is why I was gonna do the BCM first and this is why I suspected the problem to be BCM related, not ignition related. Any thoughts on that?

- Jeremy

xeroinfinity
01-28-2007, 10:45 AM
A new key would be a plus, but you can have the stealership make the lock cyl work with your old key id for a cost. I'd still have a new key made if your is worn bad.

So what doesnt work on your Key fob?
Lock or unlock?
Thier is a relay for each of the two, if they dont click when you press the KF buttons, the I'd say the relay was bad.
Thier's 3 relays for the locks in the driverside fusebox.

Hope that helps.

JTrujillo86
01-28-2007, 11:06 AM
None the buttons work on a regular basis. They all work when they want. I will check the relays though. Thanks for the advice.

- Jeremy

JTrujillo86
01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
BTW, are there service manuals out yet for the Aleros 2002-2004? I have one for other N body vehicles (Chevrolet Malibu/Oldsmobile Cutlass 1997-2000), but I would rather find one specifically for my car. I have the manual for the Malibu because I used to own one.

- Jer

BNaylor
01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
The only real service manual available is the GM FSM from Helm, Inc. Expensive at $135 but worth it and it will pay for itself. It is a combo Alero/Grand Am.

Click here (http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=OLD&mk=Oldsmobile&yr=2002&md=Alero&dt=&module=&from=result&Style=&Sku=GMP02N&itemtype=N&mscsid=USNVL9MV75M88JGECE3NK4AUXG8968J5)

xeroinfinity
01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Jeremy, sounds like the kf is not working.
Pop it apart and clean the rubber(silicome) buttons with some good dish soap.
Dry it well and see if that helps.
You also might try cleaning the elect circuit contacts with a pink eraser.

btw Helms are great manualss!

Add your comment to this topic!