Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New paint review: House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red

rsxse240
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
this is the Valspar House of Kolor Kustom Kolor 3 stage (base, color, clear) paint at wal mart.

first impression:
"ehh, it's walmart paint, and it's over priced. Nice packaging though."

it's a bit expensive being it is from walmart (just over $15 for 3 four ounce cans). but I was being hopeful, as it is a Valspar product, and I've used Valspar on real cars a time or two, and was quite impressed.

upon opening the lid you notice the typical round spray nozzle just like every other can of hobby spray paint (testors was the first to come to mind, and that's another disheartening factor)

good points on first impression, it's really not that much more expensive than model master sprays, plus you get a full ounce more than the testors, or tamiya. so it's likely to get atleast 3, if not 4 projects done if used properly.

Product use impressions:
I cleaned an old rear deck (boot) from an AMT '40 Ford coupe that was taking up space. it has a good contour to show off what the paint would look like on a curved surface. I used just the bare plastic with no primer, as this is a paint that is supposed to be for plastic models and they provide no primer in this paint line, so I figured it would be safe, and it is. I encountered none of they typical "crazing" associated with laquer based paints on bare plastic. this was quite impressive enough.

base coat: went on smooth (I used the silver base) with no runs, or drips. the spray pattern was even, and strong with great atomization (I also warmed the cans under hot tap water for about 10 minutes, as well as shaking each can for no less than 2 minutes which I strongly suggest when using ANY rattle can paint). it took 3 light coats to get an even, uniform base, then I went ahead with a final heavier "wet" coat to get it all nice and sparkley (yes the silver base looks like bass boat paint). When dry the base coat is quite dull, but the metallic in the silver is SO sparkley, I am considering using it as a color coat on a '59 impala low rider I'm working on.

color coat: Kandy Apple Red. need I say more? It is THE most popular color known to the hot rod industry, and once I sprayed it on the silver base, I could see why.

again with the warming of can and 2+ minutes of shaking the can (I think my hand went numb there for a second) the same spray charactaristics of the base coat apply to the color coat, except that since it is simply a transparent, non metallic color coat which requires a little more paint to be applied to achieve an even color (4 light coats, and 2 heavy coats). The finish was slightly orange peeled, but only very slightly. if I were to be putting this on a build that I had intended on competition, I might at this point wet sand it just to even it out.

Clear Top Coat: The finishing touch! as I am quite impressed with the product at this point, I'm thinking it can't get any better. well, it does. again with the warmed can and lots of shaking, I sprayed on 2 light coats, and 3 wet coats. this actually made the color coat "flow out" and become so smooth that I don't believe any wet sanding would be neccessary on the color coat. again the Klear Koat sprayed so evenly and strong that one has to work quickly, which means that you don't have as much waste, making the paint go that much farther. once dry it has such a smooth finish that again, only if it were to be destined for a contest, would I wet sand and polish it out. At this point, for a simple build just a coat of wax to really bring out the shine would be needed, and really I don't think much more shine would be achieved.

So here is the finished product. One rear decklid of an AMT '40 Ford coupe painted with the 3 stage House of Kolor, Kustom Kolor, Kandy Apple Red....

enjoy! I know I did!
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/rsxse240/model%20stuff/100_1897.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/rsxse240/model%20stuff/100_1898.jpg

thank you for observing my first critique of a new product!
-Ken

rsxse240
01-26-2007, 03:58 PM
those pics just don't do it justice really. the metallic really pops out in the sunlight, and I should have taken them from another angle as the light really messed with the image. I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow if it's as nice as it was today.

tonioseven
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Damn. The Wal-Marts here don't have it but the ones in Cincinnati did. 20/20 hindsight I suppose:( Did you get the package yet?

rsxse240
01-26-2007, 07:30 PM
actually, no, I've been wondering if it was ever going to get here. what service did you use?

tonioseven
01-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Usps.

rsxse240
01-26-2007, 11:25 PM
strange, it SHOULD have been here by now.

chato de shamrock
02-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Those pictures look sweet but I'm having big doubts about the paint job im gettin from this product. I just finished applying the fourth coat of kandy lime gold (AE108) and its getting greener and greener. According to the can's color it should be more in the yellowish-gold side. Thats the only reason I bought the can. Here's their chart:

http://www.kustomkolorpaints.com/kustomkolor/aerosol.jsp

You guys see how lime gold candy looks like? Well the more coats i apply on my model the more its looking like limetime green pearl (AE105). Its no where near the color in the spray can, and yes, I did apply the base coat it asks to use. Totally sucks:banghead: :mad:

Anyone know what other company has a color similar to the gold color Kustom Kolor calls kandy lime gold? I dont have air brushes so I have to stick to spray cans. I've also used Tamiya's gold for some wheels and it a bit too dark for what im looking for.

rsxse240
02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I haven't had a chance to use the color you are talking about. what color base did you use? I'm thinking that if a gold base was used, and you covered it with green it should be just fine, but if you put to much green on top of the gold, the gold WILL eventually be covered up. not only that, but take the part out into the sunlight, if you haven't already, you may be suprised at just how gold it really is once the light hits it.

the only color I could suggest by first hand experience would be the colors by Boyd from testors lime green pearl over a gold base. this worked pretty good for my FC, but I can't finish anything I start, so I can't show you pics of it.

chato de shamrock
02-06-2007, 01:49 AM
I went with the advice Kustom Kolor offered. I sprayed Kustom Kolor silver base coat and then sprayed their Kandy Lime Gold which, in their color sample, does not seem to have a slight sign of green. Thats why I bought it. It looks like a bright yellow/gold, and thats what I was going for. However, right now that ive sprayed about four coats of the paint, it looks all light lime green metallic (getting darker the more coats i spray) and does not look anything like the yellow color in its sample. Very disappointing. Then again, I should have known better than to believe the color will come out exactly like the sample on the spray can's lid. Colors are almost always off by a bit. I just wasnt expecting it to be off this much.

Add your comment to this topic!