Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

defogger

74NovaNick
01-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey,

Man it sucks when you're driving in the rain (cuz your 74 nova is your only source of transportation) and the back window fogs up. Thats why I went ahead and hooked up my rear widow defogger (they say these were rare, I guess). Now I need to run it to a power source. Problem is that no matter where I run it to on the fuse block, it always blows the closest fuse. Thinkin of running it striaght through the firewall, along the engine bay, and into the battery terminal. Good idea? Bad Idea? Better Ideas? Thanks.

- NIck

CRushER
01-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't. The whole point of having a fuse is that the fuse will blow if something shorts out and is overloaded. If the wire is connected to the battery and shorts out it'll burn out the entire wire. My auto teacher told me of someone having a hot wire and it shorting and it fried the entire harness in the car. It was a newer car too with a huge harness that got melted together.

I added a tach to my car and did this instead. On the fuse block there is a male termal called 'accessory'. I connected it to that with a space connector and in series put in a fuse that could be removed and replaced if it blew. Probably not the cleanest, but it works and is safe.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!