Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Altenator or What???

rhorst2000
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a 1996 4.3L Ext Cab 4WD Chevy S-10 - Twice this has happeded - I can drive it and the Battery light will come on and the battery will drain as if the alt. is bad.
I was stranded - a guy stopped and gave me a jump - I drove as far as I could when the Battery drained and the engine stalled - This time I had to walk to a friends house and get him to give me a jump - when it started the indicator showed me that the battery is now charging, and ran fine till I got home (23 miles) - this happeded 2x's both times the alt. indicator read positive charge after the truck sat awhile prior to jumping - What's going ON!!!! The connections are tight. Is the alt. over heating? It dones't feel warm.:screwy: :banghead:

rhorst2000
01-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a 1996 4.3L Ext Cab 4WD Chevy S-10 - Twice this has happeded - I can drive it and the Battery light will come on and the battery will drain as if the alt. is bad.
I was stranded - a guy stopped and gave me a jump - I drove as far as I could when the Battery drained and the engine stalled - This time I had to walk to a friends house and get him to give me a jump - when it started the indicator showed me that the battery is now charging, and ran fine till I got home (23 miles) - this happeded 2x's both times the alt. indicator read positive charge after the truck sat awhile prior to jumping - What's going ON!!!! The connections are tight. Is the alt. over heating? It dones't feel warm.:screwy: :banghead:

MT-2500
01-25-2007, 10:11 PM

I think it is time to have the alternator tested out.

DelCoch
01-26-2007, 02:21 AM
I think you have a bad battery. Have both the battery and alternator checked at AutoZone, etc.

old_master
01-26-2007, 05:34 PM
When the red battery light comes on, the alternator is not charging. As MT said, have the alternator tested.

Add your comment to this topic!