Page updated on 07-21-2018

2000 Honda Accord heater problem

toberlin1116
01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
My 2000 Honda Accord will not heat to it's full potential. The temperature gauge doesn't reach the middle of the meter. I had the thermostat changed and flushed the radiator. Does anyone have any ideas for what the problem might be?

somick
01-26-2007, 11:46 AM
On my 99 Accord LX my gauge goes up to only a quarter of it.

At first I thought that I had problems. Replaced thermostat, measured engine temperature. Everything stayed the same.

I think this is just a gauge. It is not suppose to be that accurate. It just gives you a hint that the car has warmed up.

What gives you idea that your car is not warming up?

Sam

somick
01-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Is your car's cooling fan comes on when you stoped with engine running?

toberlin1116
01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
On my 99 Accord LX my gauge goes up to only a quarter of it.

At first I thought that I had problems. Replaced thermostat, measured engine temperature. Everything stayed the same.

I think this is just a gauge. It is not suppose to be that accurate. It just gives you a hint that the car has warmed up.

What gives you idea that your car is not warming up?

Sam
The interior of the car isn't getting enough heat. I get some heat through the heater vents but not warm enough. Also, why is the thermostat's max temperature only 172 degrees, instead of most cars 195 degrees?

somick
01-26-2007, 08:37 PM
The interior of the car isn't getting enough heat. I get some heat through the heater vents but not warm enough. Also, why is the thermostat's max temperature only 172 degrees, instead of most cars 195 degrees?
Well, you might picked a wrong thermostat.

Another reason might be air in the system.

Sam

Glen_T
01-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Have you ever replaced the cabin air filters? Perhaps they are plugged and you are not getting much air flow, so you don't feel much heat.

Another potential problem would be the valve that allows coolant flow into the heater core in the dash. The valve is located near the firewall on the passenger's side on one of the coolant hoses leading to the heater core. If You could disconnect the cable to it and see if it turns freely.

As far as the thermostat temperature, my manual says that it should start to open at about 176F and is fully open at 194F.

Hope this helps...Glen

Add your comment to this topic!