Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Audi with 100,000 miles, smart or no??

SeptiK
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
hey guys, i've never bought an audi before and I would like to know if that is a decent buy, especially if it already has 100,000 miles on it. I'm hoping to keep the car around for a good 5 years so I want to make sure it won't break down on me after a couple of years. its listed at $8,000 so if anyone can help me out and tell me if it's a smart deal i'd really appreciate it.

docurley
01-25-2007, 05:19 PM
First you would need to state what engine second if it does not have full service history walk away.

SeptiK
01-25-2007, 09:33 PM
the Audi is a 1.8T QUATTRO and I'm going to request the VIN # if I decide I am interested in the car. Before I begin that process however, I just wanted to know whether it was feasible in the first place and whether it is a smart buy. My only problem is that while german engineering is very commendable, by 100,000K miles, every car begins to have a few minor problems here and there, but with a 2001 Audi, the price of repair or replacement parts will be very high because it is a foreign and luxury car, let alone 2001. I just do not want to be putting in thousands and thousands of dollars into the car After i've already bought it. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should go with a lesser quality car for my budget ($7-9 Thousand)?

docurley
01-28-2007, 06:13 PM
My 2000 car has 130k but had full service history and I have had no problem as of yet and I plan on an BT conversion later this year so if it has history then you should be good but make sure the control arms are good and find out when the cam belt was last changed as you need to change them every 60k.

SeptiK
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll def look into those details....

dxrflyboy
05-02-2007, 05:03 PM
The oil pump pickup in the 1.8T engine tends to plug up with carbon deposits if synthetic oil is not used and/or the oil isn't changed often enough. This causes oil pressure loss and expensive engine damage. Avoid if maintenance records aren't available or don't show adequate maintenance!

Kunundrum
05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
The oil pump pickup in the 1.8T engine tends to plug up with carbon deposits if synthetic oil is not used and/or the oil isn't changed often enough. This causes oil pressure loss and expensive engine damage. Avoid if maintenance records aren't available or don't show adequate maintenance!

there are a few ways to take care of Sludging depending on how hardcore / mechanicaly inclined you are.

1. Seafoam Treatment, this is an oil/fuel/intake additive that works quite well

2. Diesel Fuel, -- Drain oil from engine, remove Filter and replace with a new one. disconnect negative terminal from battery. Fill engine to the brim with diesel fuel and let sit at least overnight. drain later and replace oil filter once more. Fill with Oil (non sytec is fine since its only for a few miles) a few days later perform full oil change.

3. tear appart the engine and clean it. :iceslolan

solay
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
My 2000 car has 130k but had full service history and I have had no problem as of yet and I plan on an BT conversion later this year so if it has history then you should be good but make sure the control arms are good and find out when the cam belt was last changed as you need to change them every 60k.

so am i
1,6 , 1996 , 236 tkm

best regards s.

anty
01-09-2008, 06:54 AM
I have almost around 175K on my car and it's working smooth. People just don't believe me it's 1996 when they ride around, though the old mobile phone support and radio-casette player should tell them that I am right :D

Rickna
02-15-2008, 05:44 AM
I recently bout an 01 A4 1.8 TQ with 78k mi. I will be doing a motor flush & Sea Foam treatment this weekend.

Add your comment to this topic!