Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 achieve think passlock is messed up

tracker377
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
can anyone tell me how to buypass this? I have seen this on here before but cant remember. many thanks!

xeroinfinity
01-24-2007, 10:45 PM
I dont know how but I do say its not worth the headaches and chances are thats not whats wrong.

Just my :2cents:

Goetz57
01-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Here is the link to the page. But make sure that is your problem, mine would start fine then one day decide 3-4 during that day it would start then die. One cold night had it towed to the house, and after getting it in the driveway, decied to hop in and try it...fired right up, short version..it did it againg about a week later late at night, ended at my mechanic's....he even thought about a by-pass but was told by GM you can't get around the pass lock system, that a new ignition was needed....that worked for about a month. Then one day at the gas station it did it to the point I left the key in the on possion and walked the 11 blocks to catch a ride..it took about 20 min's round trip..so that is when I made up my mind to try the idea on this site.
Went to Advanced Auto Parts and gota toggle switch (with wires attached) for about $5, read and reread the instructions on the bulldog page, and after 45 min's of my time I now have a securiety light that stays on....but it's been almost a year and the car has not done the no start on me...I think it's a good trade off. And back in Dec I had my batt replaced, and I didn't need to reset the switch to get it to start..again fired right up!

But please make sure that the behavior of your car falls under the conditions on the other page, like the next time it does it, try turning your key to the start possion and let it talk to the puter..and see if it starts then..seems like most of us that suffer from the pass lock problem can do that...real pain waitting 20 mins to get it started like that! LOL
hope this helped.
Goetz AKA gary

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=524095

randy78
05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
weve been dealing with this very issue in our 98 achieva for about 6 months now, aftet two new ignition locks and having the IPC repaired it has now started dying at startup and having security light flashing problem all over again

dealer said its the IPC this time

that we had repaired by southern last fall

its never ending

wont go away

might have to try to bypass after all, even though i really have been trying to avoid having to do it

i guess youre supposed to start the car up and cut two of the wires from the igniton key lock plug

supposedly

might have no choice but to try it soon the way its looking

because apparently this problem is permanent and not repairable in this car

Goetz57
05-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Hello, Nope you don't need to start the car first, and the only one you cut is the yellow wire that should be bundled with a white and black wire. Remove the Steering Column Covers, the 3 wires should be running under the steering column, clip the yellow as stated, either get some 20 ga wire to splice it to the yoggle you get, or find one the has wires on it, I gave myself just enough extra wire so I could drill a hole in the lower column cover, so I could tighten it down with the nut. the turn switch to off, and start car, , then turn switch to on and let it run for about 30 seconds the light for security should come on. If the car won't start check that the switch is wired right...or try flipping the toggle the other way....worked for me.....tried the changing where the yellow wires were and still wouldn't start, so left it the same but fliped the switch the other direction Then just put the covers back and all is well...no noe can see the little switch under the steering wheel. Here is the link to look at the digram of how it is done.....http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp
Good Luck !:grinyes:

randy78
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Hello, Nope you don't need to start the car first, and the only one you cut is the yellow wire that should be bundled with a white and black wire. Remove the Steering Column Covers, the 3 wires should be running under the steering column, clip the yellow as stated, either get some 20 ga wire to splice it to the yoggle you get, or find one the has wires on it, I gave myself just enough extra wire so I could drill a hole in the lower column cover, so I could tighten it down with the nut. the turn switch to off, and start car, , then turn switch to on and let it run for about 30 seconds the light for security should come on. If the car won't start check that the switch is wired right...or try flipping the toggle the other way....worked for me.....tried the changing where the yellow wires were and still wouldn't start, so left it the same but fliped the switch the other direction Then just put the covers back and all is well...no noe can see the little switch under the steering wheel. Here is the link to look at the digram of how it is done.....http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp
Good Luck !:grinyes:

well of course everyone says something different on how to do this

not surprised

ive seen some ppl say to start it and cut two of the wires

and then i see other ppl saying something totally different- such as yourself

its all a gamble and im not trying it on our 98 i know

im sending the IPC back to southern electronics for a free re-rebuild they said its notoious for failing even after repair and that they will cover it(security light blinking and start/immediate die issue)

good luck

Goetz57
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM
well of course everyone says something different on how to do this

not surprised

ive seen some ppl say to start it and cut two of the wires

and then i see other ppl saying something totally different- such as yourself

its all a gamble and im not trying it on our 98 i know

im sending the IPC back to southern electronics for a free re-rebuild they said its notoious for failing even after repair and that they will cover it(security light blinking and start/immediate die issue)

good luck

I can understand not really wanting to do it, and if southern say's they will re build for free then try it......however comes back, and you think about doing it the way I have said.....you only have 3 wires to the ignition, yellow + black- and the white is nothing, it's just the black you need to cut and add the switch to. maybe if all this comes back is to find a shop near you that does stero's for car...as most now have gone into alarm etc install, because to install a remote start you have to take the factory security passlock off line with the inboard computer. the guys at the shop may beable to explain it to you so it is all clear.

Good Luck with the re build!
Goetz

randy78
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
the diagram pagethat goetz posted doesnt work now

hmm

well we sent the IPC in to southern yet again recently because the dealer said it was the problem

because the security light is flashing and it is not starting again, every about 4 starts

it is worse of a problem than ever right now

so we are down to trying to bypass it now

because neither the dealer or southern can fix it

it is apparently not a repairable problem

so i am going to try cutting the wire today

nothing left to do or try now

theonly thing that hasnt bene replaced in the car is the computer and the EBTCM

dealer says the EBTCM needs replaced of course

the abs and traction ligts are on in the car

they never used to be until recently

also it recently had problems with frying the alternator and eating the battery down to until the car dies and the dash goes crazy

this car has so many electrical issues

wow

we have repaired a billion different vehicles over the years in the garage and wow these cars are BY FAR the worst ever as far as electrical issues

wow,.

nightmare

nice car, runs and drives like new

if it will start

he wont trade it in or get ridof it though

he almost did though

he wants to "beat" the car

he never will

it will always have issues

he has too much $ in this car now

at least its not high mileage

hum

im tired of seeing it working on it

and i wont drive it again

it is not trustworthy

it will leave you stranded until you can disconnect the battery and reset the security

adios

Add your comment to this topic!