Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Malibu rough idle and engine ticking

Manofsteel9945
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Well I got a call at work today that my girlfriends 3.1 V6 had a rough idle and the engine was "clicking" really bad. Hoping it was either the plugs or wires I replaced those when I got home, but just a I figured that was not the case.
So here I am and here's what we got:

2001 Malibu 3.1 V6
Check engine light flashes while driving (haven't pulled a code yet)
Rough Idle @ 2k RPM's and lower, still drive's o.k. and there is no "major" loss of power on backroads or highway
Engine is "clicking" and sounds very much like metal on metal :(
also pretty localized to the #2 piston area (nearest front passenger)
"Check Engine" flashing Was noticed after about 20mins of driving the car this AM
"rough idle" was noticed as she came to a stoplight after being on the freeway for about 10 miles.

Injectors were replaced about 2-3yrs ago from what she tells me
recently one of the injectors started leaking and I think it may be the O-ring because I can physically see and hear the leak

Any idea's? I have a few but don't really want to start thinking about them right now.

cheerios1
01-24-2007, 08:18 AM
why don't u get the codes checked it's free at any Auto Zone or Advanced Auto and with the that kind of noise I wouldn't really be driving until you've checked out that noise....it could cease.....

SPRaYeD9
01-28-2007, 04:49 AM
crash it

bcopeland
01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
When I had that happen (twice in my 189K miles with my 99), it came back as cyl. 2 misfire and the #2/#5 coil went out both times.

Add your comment to this topic!