Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

350 performance.

wyatt_earb
01-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Anyone have any input on what kind of intake and cam combo should be used on a 1985 350. Not looking to make it into a drag car or spending a small fortune, just something to have fun with on the weekends.... Theres a lot of intakes to choose from, edelbrock, holley, etc... And cam wise nothing super agressive, just a good sound and put a little ass into the motor. Or if anyone has any other ideas on way to get a little extra power out of the old girl I'm all ears.

jveik
01-29-2007, 11:44 PM
well, if you are looking to get cheap performance, i would look into some stock vortec pickup truck cylinder heads from GM. i think they are only 250 bucks a pop, so 500 or so for the both of them. that would be the biggest upgrade in power for the dollar. next i would probably go with an intake like edelbrock's line of intakes. if you want sweet torque (what the vortecs are especially good at) you can get the performer eps manifold which is best used in engines running from idle to 5500 rpm. if you want it to be a little higher revving, the performer rpm will kick the eps' ass above a certain point, and doenst really loose a whole lot of torque down low anyways. i would think about the rpm version personally. after that i would get the biggest comp cams Xtreme Energy cam that the heads can handle. i believe that they only handle .475 inch lift or so, which isnt all that huge anyways. i would look into the Xtreme Energy 256 or 262 hydraulic flat tappet cams. just make sure the the lift with stock ratio 1.5 rockers is not higher than the maximum lift the heads can handle. these parts all together should make at least 400 horsepower depending on the cam, maybe as low as 350 horsepower, but still thats not bad at all for the money youre spending. maybe a 750cfm holley carb would help too. sure beats the 180 horses the stocker would be pumping.

Add your comment to this topic!