Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where can I mount a tow hook.....

Ramblin Fever
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
on the front and rear of the Rodeo??

Any ideas?

Had to use the Rodeo and the Toyota to save some lost driving souls this weekend, 2-lane backroad highway where people where sliding off the roads left and right in icy conditions.

I resorted to using the class 3-hitch we have on the Rodeo, whereas the Toyota has tow hooks. Anyone know where I can mount these on the Rodeo?

Seemingly remember my '91 Rodeo had them in the front, but this truck doesn't have front or rear hooks.

amigo-2k
01-22-2007, 10:23 PM
odd I have one on my 2000 ...

AZoner
01-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Same Here... I have 2. 1 Front Pass. and 1 driver rear.

Ramblin Fever
01-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Well, I think my OEM's got taken off years ago when the dealer put on the brushguard.

Any ideas how to mount one?

amigo-2k
01-23-2007, 08:44 AM
you are probably correct about losing them due to the brush guard. There is a recent post on the planet about a bunch of folks buying cheep brush guards with the same issue.

Gizmo42
01-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm one of those with the cheap grill guard in the post. I have a set of shackles on order from indy 4x and when I get my guard put on I'm just gonna drill out the hole where the stock hole is and put the shackles there. HERE (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=10524) is the post of Protetypes install so you can see what I'm talking about. I dont think the '97 has the same kind of set up though. If you can find a way to put some shackles on that would be the best way. With bolt on hooks, if the bolts break, they become projectiles.

Ramblin Fever
01-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Gizmo - thanks greatly for the link; I'm a frequent on-looker on that site, just have never registered, some day I will.

That brushguard that Protetype installed - same brushguard as the one I have, only mine is a Manik. Sure wish I had told you guys a head of time - as it looks as if you both bought one?? - they're not really worth it. Mine actually mounts a little further onto the frame then Protetype's picture looked, but it's flimsy as all getout. I only keep it on for the fog-lights, but there are days that I just want to take it off.

I find myself being too overly cautious because of it in the mountains as well, as one little ding on the front-end will shove it back into the hood, I can already tell.

Yes, the lightguards will make getting your black lightcovers harder to get off/install. I have a hard time just washing my headlights with my hands, the little rails are pretty snug against them.

Ok, so you're ordering a D-schakle from Indy?? Would like to put one on the front, and for sure one on the back, which it looks like I can loop it through the receiver on the hitch

Gizmo42
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
These are made by Hunter and look to be pretty beefy. here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rodeo-Amigo-Passport-98-04-Grille-Brush-Grill-Guard-BLK_W0QQitemZ110075045600QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33645Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is the ebay sale that we got them from. Shows the differences between the Hunters and the cheaper built ones. I did buy some 1/2" grade 8 bolts to install mine though instead of using the 3/8" grade 3 bolts it came with. Protetype is going to replace his bolts too at some point.

Ramblin Fever
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeap, same brushguard - mine came with 8 1/2" bolts, 4 on either side. But, I still think the one I have is crappy - but, I didn't pay for it, so I can't complain, I guess.

The problem with these guards is their only mounting contact is on the frame below, whereas my OEM brushguard that was on my '91 Rodeo was mounted on the frame AND on top of the bumper - so it was a lot more sturdier.

BUT, I had that same OEM guard mounted on the '97 Rodeo 5yrs ago when I was involved in an accident; and let's just say the brushguard did more sheet metal damage costing $3k in repairs - whereas if I didn't have it, I probably would've only been out a headlight.

I only have this current brushguard because I didn't know the insurance company was putting one on - I was out of town when they fixed my truck - came back and found one on it, otherwise, if I'd have known what they were willing to do, I would've paid in for an ARB.

I'm not suggesting that you take yours off though, I still have mine on too - just be sure to find a way to mount stability brackets along the top of the bumper too - if possible, and be sure to never hit that front end.

I'm gonna see if my sister's b-i-law can't weld mine to the frame at higher points.

Gizmo42
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, Mike (protetype) didnt get his bolts replaced in time. HERE (http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=11121) is what can happen when the bolts shear off when you hit something and have a brush guard. He's hoping to be able to get an ARB bumper out of the deal when they fix the front.

I'm hoping with the stronger bolts I used it wont be so bad if I hit something, though I know the guard will still hit the hood/grill. But thats what insurance is for right? lol

He was just over at my place the night before dropping off the shackles.

Ramblin Fever
02-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I saw that, reading that last night. Ouch! I felt bad for him the minute I saw it it was like an instant flashback.

My damage was pretty much the same when I got in that accident 4yrs ago now; my radiator came through without a scratch, I was actually surprized by that.

My total repair bill was a little over $3k, but I wanted new/OEM parts as I still had a loan on the truck at the time. At the time, the damage was close to half of what the KBB value was, but what also helped with my insurance company in the deciding factor to keep her on the road was that there was no frame or mechanical damage, only sheet metal, and the rest of the truck was in immaculant condition.

If his frame is still solid - which it should be, depending how hard he hit, they'll fix his truck and be on the road in nothing flat.

Just make sure to tell him to definitely get an alignment when it's fixed.

Gizmo42
02-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Just make sure to tell him to definitely get an alignment when it's fixed.

Will do

Ramblin Fever
02-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey Giz, forgot to mention last night - both of your Rodeo's are looking VERY VERY nice. Keep up the good work - just need bigger tires now!!

Those General Grabber AT2's that someone posted about on the Planet are perhaps my next set on any of my 3 vehicles that come due again, those are nice tires!

Gizmo42
02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I'll probably go for daytons again on mine, I like these tires for the price. That wont be happening until these wear out though. Hopefully by then I will have found a nice set of snowflakes. I think I have the skinniest 15" wheels isuzu made so 32's arent gonna fit on them very well. I'm thinking a lift is comming this spring but will still be riding on the 30's.

Ramblin Fever
02-10-2007, 05:39 PM
If you have steelies, they're probably 15x6" - which is the same width I ran on my truck for 9yrs, well, 16x6 actually, but same width.

They WERE very skinny, but I did run 265/75's on them for almost a year before I found a set of 16x8 wheels. I don't recommend it though, the tires were crowning badly in only 8k miles.

I would've given anything to have the snowflake wheels that were on my '91 Rodeo, never realized at the time that we traded it that those were the gold of Isuzu wheels. Nor did I realize then, that they would've fit my '97 Rodeo.

Where'd you get your Dayton's - do they come in the 265/75 R16 E/10-ply size? My diesel cummins will be due for tires here pretty soon, maybe end of summer - I'm running 245/75 R16 Yokohama's, only because the E/10-ply doesn't come in the 265/75 Yokohama's.

Not only that, but the Yok ATII's are discontinued; think I got the last set Discount tire could scramble up for my newer Yota.

Gizmo42
02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I get mine from Tires Plus. They are made by bridgestone/firestone so can probably get them from their places too. They do have that size but dont say how many plies, they are a load range D.

HERE (http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=168) are the specs and sizes for the A/Ts and HERE (http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/searchbyproduct.asp) you can see what other types they have. Scroll to the bottom for daytons.

Ramblin Fever
02-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Are you running Dayton AT's or MT's??

Wow, I like the looks of the MT's!

Load D is too light for my diesel cummins, need to be 10-ply, E rated - this is the problem I'm having with trying to find AT tires for this rig; as I HATE the BFG KO's and will NOT use them on this truck again.

I need to go *farther* and wear out these brand-new Yok's on my Rodeo, those MT's look mean and cool!

I do like my Yok's though, though I wish they could've been C-ply rather then D-ply's, as they are a bit heavy - but it's very HARD to find 32" tires in the 16"s that are 6-ply/C rather then D's.

I'll look at those sites a bit more later tonight, gotta finish installing our water-softner.

Gizmo42
02-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Mine are AT's, I lke the looks of the MT's as well and havent decided if I'm going to go with them or the AT's again next time.

The biggest they make in E load range is 245/75-16 in the A/S, LT, and MT models.

remoter
11-06-2007, 01:05 PM
If you want quality, do not buy Hunter products. They do not fit and they rust. I have their guard on my 2001 Rodeo. The paint started to peel after a few months and the entire guard is rusted. Call them many times but no resolution.

Add your comment to this topic!