Performance
0-60 mph: 4.5 sec
0-100 mph: 10.4 sec
Quarter Mile: 12.9 sec @ 111 mph
Skidpad: .90g
Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)
Braking, 60-0 mph: 182 ft
Slalom Speed: --.- mph

I got sick of a stupid non-sense fan boy saying one is better than the other, when OBVIOUSLY, stock, you know which one is the better one, at least I hope.

I mean they both get around the same mileage, yet one engine is nearly twice the size. one pulls way more G, one is faster in acceleration, from 0-60 and from 60-0. And for those of you saying the Viper can't corner, takin directly from Car And Driver........

The levels of grip are nothing short of awesome. Even pushing the car hard around the artifical curves inside the avenues of cones, the Viper would cling well beyond the expectations most people have of available grip, and when it did start to relinquish it's resolute grasp of the line, the transition seemed gradual and easy to read.

1.15 G versus .90 g??, not much to think about there.

I'll let you make the decision, I'm not voting, but my vote would easily go for the Viper hands down, although the Mustang is a nice car, the Viper outpeforms it in every category.

v10_viper
09-29-2002, 02:25 PM
I figured I could put a pic of the Mustang here too.

SilverLotus340R
10-04-2002, 04:28 PM
id def. rather have the viper...cuz the mustang is a FORD...id never buy a ford...unless it was a new thunderbird..

just remember

a lil gas a lil oil
a lil can a lil coil
a piece of tin
a 2 inch board..

put them together

you getta FORD

orange nitro
10-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Viper for sure. I HATE Ford!!!

NFS_SRT-10
10-28-2002, 11:36 PM
all i have to say is...

F*cked
Over
Rebuilt
Dodge

Neutrino
11-13-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by NFS_SRT-10
all i have to say is...

F*cked
Over
Rebuilt
Dodge

Wow how informative.

Btw no contest ---> Viper

Polygon
11-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Ahaha, I love that.

No question I would take the Viper. Ford has to supercharge their engines to get any power out of them. Dodge can at least get A LOT of power out of their N/A engines, go and put a turbo or super on them, can you say adding insult to injury?

Sure the Viper costs more, but you get what you pay for, besides, the Viper looks oh so damn sexy!!

dapriceiswrongb
11-14-2002, 10:42 AM
Wow i would take the viper!!! though the mustang is a lot cheaper. its a better value by far!!!! And its also a f***in sleeper:D :smoker2:

Purpura Delujo
11-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Why bother comparing? Everyone knows the Viper is the best, although the Mustang gets some pretty good stats, but it looks shit.

Polygon
11-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by dapriceiswrongb
Wow i would take the viper!!! though the mustang is a lot cheaper. its a better value by far!!!! And its also a f***in sleeper:D :smoker2:

Explain to me how a Mustang is a sleeper?!?!

And value, HA! The key word there was cheap.

Viper 10
11-25-2002, 04:46 AM
Did you folks know that they halted production on the Cobra Mustangs? From what I hear the they were losing bottom ends on the engines... this also impacts the development for the GT (previously known as the GT-40).

This is far from an apples to apples comparison. The biggest differences that you will find, aren't in the magazines. It's when you get behind the wheel of these two cars that you realize that there are mountains of differences.

Case in point, I hang out with a bunch of Z06 owners out here. We go to the dyno together to have fun and talk cars. These folks have some very nice Vettes that have been modified quite a bit. When Vettes get into their 4th gear, they top out at 140 to 145 mph. When my bone stock GTS gets on the dyno, my 4th gear pull tops out at 162 to 167 mph. It blows those Vette guys out of the water because they don't realize how fast the Viper is capable of going.

Reality is that it is all about torque. Nothing from the factory touches a Viper. The difficulty in driving a Viper is understanding how huge torque narrows your margin for error on any kind of track. In other words, it's very easy to make a mistake and screw the pooch.

JMO.

Brad

Polygon
11-25-2002, 01:18 PM
How very true.

I am glad to hear about those Mustangs as well. :D

Neutrino
11-25-2002, 07:36 PM
What are you talking about acordind to expert Ford guys the cobra has the ultimate magical engine tha dominates all viper ferraris F1's etc. Mustangs are the ultimate car.I've seen one do the 1/4 mile in 1/2 sec. Off a Cliff.

Polygon
12-17-2002, 12:14 PM
Yeah, you just have to time it right before it hits the ground.

mustang79
12-25-2002, 01:04 AM
let consider what were workin with here:

$80k Viper
$35k Mustang

then thorw in $25k in extra goodies for the mustang, and you have a car that can whip the s*it outta that Viper. But stock, the Viper is by far better performance, but not neccicarily(sp) value.

DeViL
12-25-2002, 01:42 AM
Everytime that arguement must be brought up when comparing cars give me a break.

"With the 25k you save from not buying a Viper, you can use into a Mustang". Oh really, so where did that extra 25k from your pocket go when you bought your Mustang? Does the money just magically appear there? You could easily say the same damn comparison with any other cheaper car. I could buy a 93 Honda Civic and with the money I saved from buying the Mustang Cobra, I could upgrade the Civic to run circles around the Cobra. See how easy that is to say that when it doesn't even work that way?

You want something to compare? Compare each persons budget. A person who is able to afford an 60-80k Viper obviously has a lot of money. Most likely even more money to spend on upgrading his car then what the guy with the Mustang is going to have. If both people are very interested in upgrading their cars, who do you think is going to have an easier time?

Pennzoil GT-R
01-19-2003, 11:50 AM
a viper is a much better standard car than a mustang. faster and better designed and made. if you mod the cars, the viper is still the better car, this has been proved time and time again in racing. it is a far better handling car

SuPeRcAr_MaN
01-19-2003, 02:59 PM
The two people who voted for the Cobra are retards. I don't see how you can like the Cobra's styling over the Viper's, and if you think the Cobra is better performance, than you are an idiot...

DeViL
01-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Just let it go.

SuPeRcAr_MaN
01-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Sorry, but all these people posting Viper vs. Mustang comparisons are really getting to me. Viper wins, period.

450HPviper
03-07-2003, 10:29 AM
I have always been a Ford guy, but the Viper can't be beat.

NFS_SRT-10
03-07-2003, 11:19 AM
my vote is the viper all the way, but whats this i hear about ford stopped production on the mustang because they were blowin out the bottom of the engines? you would think they would build somethin that wouldn't fall apart, oh well

v10_viper
04-08-2003, 07:32 PM
OMG!!!! Teh Moostang has 3 votes now!!! Still doesn't compare to the 28 votes the Viper has gotten. neways......

Japmetal
04-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

The only exception to never buying a Ford would be the GT40 [old classic Ferrari-Killer ones] but apart from that I wouldn't touch them

I personally like Mitsubishis, but the Viper is in a whole different league & one day I hope to own an early GTS coupe [1996-2000 shape] :coolguy:

NFS_SRT-10
04-23-2003, 10:08 PM
F***ed
Over
Rebuilt
Dodge

i agree with the GT 40 and up until recently i would have had the Lightning on the list but since Dodge is commin out with the Ram SRT-10 it got booted

Japmetal
04-25-2003, 04:28 PM
it's a shame that in any Ford-slagging you have to add the "Except the GT40" clauses - but what a car to make an exception for !! :devil:

Polygon
04-25-2003, 07:13 PM
I could care less about the GT-40 because it is not a production car, and I have not heard any plans to do otherwise. It is just another car that Ford has to supercharge to compete with Dodge and Chevy.

I am sorry but that does not impress me, the looks are the only thing about the new GT-40 that I like. The original GT-40, now that is a different story.

DeViL
04-25-2003, 08:21 PM
It's going into production I think next year. So what though I mean this car is very limited addition and its over $100,000 for one of them. I bet more then half of them get stored in people's garages as a collecter's item. They aren't planning on making the GT-40 for a long time either.

Japmetal
04-26-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Polygon
I could care less about the GT-40 because it is not a production car, and I have not heard any plans to do otherwise. It is just another car that Ford has to supercharge to compete with Dodge and Chevy.

I am sorry but that does not impress me, the looks are the only thing about the new GT-40 that I like. The original GT-40, now that is a different story.

Sorry, I actually did mean the old GT40s; the new ones ain't even that much to look at anymore :bloated:

DeViL
04-26-2003, 06:27 PM
the new ones ain't even that much to look at anymore
What do you mean they look almost alike?

Blakendp
04-26-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm a chevy guy, but in order for Ford to compete with Dodge and Chevy, I think they should probably reintroduce a new generation 428 big block that was in the shelby cobra gt 500 in either the next generation mustang, which i find pretty hot, or the gt-40 that may come into production. :sun: I don't like the fact they keep using superchargers in their v8 engines. Maybe Ford could bring back the 5.0 or even the 5.4 upgraded, which was in the cobra R.

v10_viper
04-27-2003, 10:42 PM
That's the thing i hate most about the Mustangs, is they use them little small block V-8s. If they put a 428 with today's technology then it would be somethin for the Viper to compete with.

DeViL
04-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Don't quote me on it but I don't think Ford is able to afford putting 428 big blocks in the Mustangs and make a lot of them. It would force them to make Mustangs, or probably the Cobra if thats only what you're talking about, very limited in production, about as limited as the Viper is each year.

cobra_dude
08-30-2003, 06:48 AM
Alright people, ford haters have been talkin a lot of shit about the new cobra, but I haven't heard any talk about the ford gt that's gonna come out in '05. That car is gonna kick the shit out of the viper! I read a review on the prototype (whick is using the mod 4.6 engine for now), and it sounds sick! Check out the specs on the gt:

Engine Type: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, supercharged V-8
Engine Displacement (L): 5.4
Bore/Stroke (mm): 90.2x105.8
Displacement (cu in/cc): 330/5409
Compression Ratio (in/mm): 8.4:1
Material: All Aluminum
Horsepower @ RPM: 500@6,000
Torque @ RPM (lb ft): 500@4,500
Horsepower Specific Output (hp/liter): 92.6
Torque Specific Output (lb ft/liter): 92.6
Recommended Fuel: 91 octane (premium)
Fuel System: Sequential multi-port electronic fuel injection -(SEFI) with dual injectors per cylinder

Type 6-speed manual
Gear Ratios 1 - 2.61
2 - 1.71
3 - 1.23
4 - 0.94
5 - 0.77
6 - 0.63

Final Drive Ratio 3.36:1
Gear Synchronization 1 - Triple
2 - Triple
3 - Triple
4 - Triple
5 - Double
6 - Double

And let us not forget that the mustang GT is supposed to have the cobra's supercharged mod 4.6L in '05 in a 2-seater as well. Fucking ricers beware!

http://www.galpinized.com/fordgt/specs.asp

farbod
09-05-2003, 02:15 PM
cool that wicked i want one

jamesdem1123
04-26-2004, 07:52 PM
u cant just look at the perfromance specs of a car u have to compare the weights as well, even so the viper has more torque so if they weigh the same the viper will still beat the ford gt

VenomInMyVeins
05-06-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry.. but your little ford gt isn't going to be able to touch the viper. If you're going to talk about production numbers and pricing (140K!!!) then you should place the ford gt up against the viper competition coupe... and then also the viper srt-10 will still take care of the ford gt... the power's the same.. yes.. BUT.... the viper has better traction around corners, a lower center of gravity, and it has oversteer instead of understeer like the GT has... The weight of the GT is mostly in the rear due to a MR design. This leaves the GT in a bad spot because the weight of the engine isn't over the turning tires.. this makes it easy for the front tires to skid instead of the rear. A good viper driver is known for his ability to control the oversteer in ways that awe most other drivers. The GT doesn't even have the potential for this. GT drivers.. beware. Your competition is a snake that's known for it's bite.

v10_viper
05-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry.. but your little ford gt isn't going to be able to touch the viper. If you're going to talk about production numbers and pricing (140K!!!) then you should place the ford gt up against the viper competition coupe... and then also the viper srt-10 will still take care of the ford gt... the power's the same.. yes.. BUT.... the viper has better traction around corners, a lower center of gravity, and it has oversteer instead of understeer like the GT has... The weight of the GT is mostly in the rear due to a MR design. This leaves the GT in a bad spot because the weight of the engine isn't over the turning tires.. this makes it easy for the front tires to skid instead of the rear. A good viper driver is known for his ability to control the oversteer in ways that awe most other drivers. The GT doesn't even have the potential for this. GT drivers.. beware. Your competition is a snake that's known for it's bite.

Very well said, let the GT have it's accleration times, Vipers dont get the best traction anyways, and yet it still beats it 1/4 mile, but the GT has so much weight over the rear wheels you can drop it from high rpms and get a great 0-60. You drop the clutch on an SRT-10 anythying over 2500 grand and you'll spin your tires. I'll bet the Viper has better top end speed and plus like like VenomInMyVeins said, it'll smoke it in the twisties.

VenomInMyVeins
05-08-2004, 12:45 AM
you've got it nailed with the 0-60. That's the only shame about fr drivetrains. But any car can really be built around 0-60 times... Put 4k into a brand new subaru wrx and you'll have 0-60 times that'll smoke viper's and gt's both. But these two cars are far from drag cars. If you really want to compare two race-bred cars... you must really take them to the track (hey... r&t.. here's next months headline ::wink wink::)

v10_viper
05-08-2004, 08:09 PM
you've got it nailed with the 0-60. That's the only shame about fr drivetrains. But any car can really be built around 0-60 times... Put 4k into a brand new subaru wrx and you'll have 0-60 times that'll smoke viper's and gt's both. But these two cars are far from drag cars. If you really want to compare two race-bred cars... you must really take them to the track (hey... r&t.. here's next months headline ::wink wink::)

I doubt we'll see that soon. Main reason is because as most everyone are expecting the GT to come out on top in track performance, it doesnt. I think on Motor Trend's site, they do show the comparison except they only show acceleration times, in which the Viper does beat it in the 1/4 mile, but they said something about the Viper edging it out on the track, just no times or anything.

protouringparts
05-16-2004, 10:48 AM

$80k Viper
$35k Mustang

then thorw in $25k in extra goodies for the mustang, and you have a car that can whip the s*it outta that Viper. But stock, the Viper is by far better performance, but not neccicarily(sp) value.

This guy dosen't remember, Ford builds junk on purpose, to make money and to keep production prices down, all through the years ford has built junk and experimented with stuff. Look how many different V8 designes has ford had, about a ton, why, they were garbage and they had to build another one to replace the last junk they had, All this is true and has been documented over the years, yet people still buy the garbage. Oh well, people do even worse when the buy a Jap crap car, makes me want to puke thinking about how many of those sell...........

On a different note, The new Z06 is gonna give a new viper a run for its dinero, Look out Dodge fans.

Also Congrats. to Dodge on their great performance in NASCAR, They are making the Gm guys work, while ford is blowing engines to be in the dust that settles. Get toyota out of the Truck series please, they are a bunch of Jackasses with their stupid comercials.

Ooomph
06-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Yeah, ok... the $75k SRT-10 BEAT the $130k (just try and find one for less than $250k) GT40 in Motor-Trends comparo. Why didn't MT use the Comp. Coupe SRT-10 for the test since their comparably priced (also at $130k)? Because Ford buys advertising in their mag... The comp coupe (which anybody can buy - no waiting list) would have killed the GT40, easily, in any category...

NFS_SRT-10
06-18-2004, 03:13 PM
actually, if i'm not mistaken, not just anybody can buy the comp coupe...only racing teams (or someone with a racing liscence) correct me if i am wrong but thats what i understood when i first read about the comp coupe

Ooomph
06-29-2004, 06:55 AM
actually, if i'm not mistaken, not just anybody can buy the comp coupe...only racing teams (or someone with a racing liscence) correct me if i am wrong but thats what i understood when i first read about the comp coupe

actually, you're correct in one sense. Racing affiliated people will have access to the comp coupe, however, anybody can buy a used and there's already plenty of them out there. there's some for sale on the vca right now.

northbamaniceguy
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Pretty sad a v10 viper is only 1 sec faster with 10mph more in the quarter....not to mention viper cost twice as much.....and its not the fastest factory car either mustang cobra R is.

5 Point 7
07-24-2004, 04:35 PM
About the whole Viper vs. GT...uhhh oh! Die hard viper fan, but those GT's make me nervous...but yeah you throw in the Comp. Coupe...it's no question! But about public sale...not sure. When I worked at 7-11, I knew this woman that used to come over with all of her other Dodge employees in the morning for coffee. I would go over and look at the Vipers, and the srt-4's when they were new. And she let me get in the ACR Viper, and she said I should feel lucky, because the only people who can buy this are people who previously owned Vipers... Not too sure about the Comp. Coupe, may be the same way.

Viper 10
07-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Pretty sad a v10 viper is only 1 sec faster with 10mph more in the quarter....not to mention viper cost twice as much.....and its not the fastest factory car either mustang cobra R is.
It's not sad at all when you consider that the Viper was never designed for drag racing or pure acceleration. It was designed for driving on road race type venues that demand lateral acceleration at high sppeds. You have Vettes and other cars with low gears to make the go (and overcome their lack of torque on the low end). The Viper has 3.07 gears that make it better suited for high speeds and top speeds.

Don't believe all the crap that you read in magazines. If you drove one, you would definitely know the difference in performance and what that money buys you.

I suppose the next comment you'll make will be about cupholders, comfort and mileage...

Brad

DiabloGT
07-29-2004, 12:15 AM
he doesnt know anything anyways, and you dont even know on the drag strip that .1 sec diff is alot... when i upg my 95' z28 next year to 550hp and 600 torque for 3k it will eat the cobra alive...

5 Point 7
07-29-2004, 07:58 PM
when i upg my 95' z28 next year to 55hp and 600 torque for 3k it will eat the cobra alive...

Please explain..3k is nice.

DiabloGT
08-01-2004, 02:05 PM
i meant 550hp and 600 torque and i can do it from cams, rockers, headers, heads, CAI, magnaflow exhaust, and some small stuff...

Muscletang
08-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm voting for the SVT and here is my reason.

Difference
Price: Viper $45,000 more
Miles Per Gallon: SVT 6/4 more
Curb Weight: SVT 358 lbs more
Engine
Type: Viper 2 cylinders more
Displacement: Viper 3.7L more
Horsepower: Viper 110 bhp
Torque: Viper 135 lb-ft
Performance
0-60 mph: Viper 0.7 more
0-100 mph: Viper 1.5 more
Quarter Mile: Viper 1 sec @ 10 mph more
Skidpad: Viper 0.25g
Top Speed: Viper 30 mph more
Braking 60-0 mph: SVT 82 ft more

As you can see the SVT weighs 358 lbs. more, has a 3.7L 2 cylinder disadvantage, and cost $45,000 less. The Viper has less weight, a bigger engine, and cost you can see. The SVT is the better bang for the buck. I only get 0.7 sec more from 0-60 for $45,000? I only get 1 sec more in the 1/4 mile for $45,000? I can get a mod pack for $1,500 that includes headers, mufflers, chip, cold air, and pulley. This will make a SVT do 11.7 in the 1/4. The SVT with a heavier body and smaller engine is right on the heels on the Viper with a big v10. Now I would like and would vote for the Viper if Dodge A. upped the HP, lowered the time in the 1/4, ect or B. lowered the price. This is just my opinion.

FirefighterWMFD
09-21-2004, 01:27 PM
How about the new Chevy Cobalt? Anyone seen the specs for it? Just wonderin'

DiabloGT
09-24-2004, 07:10 PM
How about the new Chevy Cobalt? Anyone seen the specs for it? Just wonderin'
what the hell is that? oh yeah that cavalier similar crap, why do you even bother to post that here?

GreenGlowC5
11-22-2004, 07:54 PM
THIS IS JUST TOO FUNNY...

HOW COULD YO EVEN INSULT A VIPER LIKE THAT??????

I wouldnt even compare a cobra to a z06...And theres only about a half second difrance between them.....

A better comparison is the Cobra vrs C5 Corvette...

COBRA...

390 HP

Curb weight 3600 pounds..

0-60 4.8

1/4 mile 12.9

skid pad 0.90

35,000 base

C5 Covete ( non Z06)....

350 HP

curb weight 3250 pounds

0-60 4.8

1/4 mile 13.0

skid pad .91

44,000 base

Now this is a good comparison......

A guy who could afford a Cobra might actualy be able to afford a C5..

The Cobra is a tenth quicker right out of the box and only a CHEAP pully change away from completly destroying the C5....

You save 10 gand of the bat..

Youve got a limited run per year ofonly 5,000 cobras..

With th C5 you get a more refined car in the twisties...

Nearly as fast...( but a tenth is a tenth)

A car that you wont see 30 of a day like you will in the mustang...
( you wont see 30 Cobras but you'll see 30 different types of mustangs)

You get styling that looks more like an exotic with the wide tail and wide stance..But a low roof line.....

More people WILL KNOW that the vette is a quick expensive car than people will know about the Cobra..

It really just comes down to personal taste and finances....

I personaly could never compare a Cobra to a C5.....

To me the fact that it takes a supercharger to slightly edge out the NA C5 is a sighn of weakness....

You coul always supercharge a stock C5 and run 11's and kill the Mustang...

You could always supercharge the viper and run 10's and kill the GT...

But thats just my opinion.......

NEways...

The cobra vrs Viper thing is just rediculous......

Cobra vs C5 is a good one though....

ferrarifan
11-22-2004, 09:28 PM

$80k Viper
$35k Mustang

Yes, but what happens when you soup up a stock viper?*GreenGlowc5 is right

tasattack
04-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Id say the viper as well, i hate fords too and have hated them since birth. the ONLY fords that i accept are any from the 60s era and i hope i dont get lynched for this one, but i have to admit the 05 stang is sweet, and the new shelby gt500 will be pretty sickening. (for a ford)

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102047

i got to admit for a bunk A$$ car company at least they are doin somethin cool with retro design, wish chrysler would bring somethin back from the past, but maybe they are worth too much now days...71hemi cuda drop top 426hemi with a worth of about 2mil in mint condt. ;)

richard skinner
04-03-2005, 01:51 AM
The Ford! because "IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT..............................TOW IT.

driftmaster200
04-03-2005, 01:14 PM
What the f*ck does that mean "if you can't dodge it, tow it"? Sounds like a person who doesn't accept the fact that a Viper can smoke whatever you're driving.

As for the question, the Viper is better than a stock Mustang GT. You would need to compare the new Shelby Mustang GT500 to even be in the same class as a Viper. I like the Ford but the Dodge gets my vote.

Skyline_BNR34
04-03-2005, 04:48 PM
im a fan of the Viper and a Die hard Dodge Fan and i hate Ford Found On Road Dead/ Fix Or Repair Daily. And Diablo thinks he can get 550 Hp 600 Tourque from a cam and stuff like that. The onlyl way he can do that is if the car had at least more then 400 Hp not some small 200 or less good thing he got banned . The only Fords i like are the GT-40S and The GT also the old mustangs in the 60S one more but they arent fords The SHELBYS

Skyline_BNR34
04-03-2005, 04:53 PM
im a fan of the Viper and a Die hard Dodge Fan and i hate Ford Found On Road Dead/ Fix Or Repair Daily. And Diablo thinks he can get 550 Hp 600 Tourque, he cant do it with 3 Grand he would need at least a 10-20 grand. The Cam and rockers, And heads cost more than 3 Grand. The only Fords i like are the GT-40S and The GT also the old mustangs in the 60S one more but they arent fords The SHELBYS

Add your comment to this topic!