Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car died while running now it wont' start?

97spyder
01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
So I have a 1997 mitsu. eclipse syder gst, I left the house and it died abruptly. pushed it back to the house and started checking. I can hear fuel pump, and tested spark and there isn't any. So looked in the book and tested coil packs how they told me and they are good. The book said something about the ECU or transistor pack? I'm confused on where they are and if they are testable? If anyone has info that would help I would greatly appreciate it.

This car is completely stock no aftermarket anything. I checked the main fuses under the hood they are all good.

Thanks

Mikelb
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
here's the Transistor pack...
http://www.dsmchips.com/tran1.jpg

Should be located right next to the coil pack...

They are testable, here's how (thank Gthompson97):

Power Transistor
Connect analog ohmmeter leads between power transistor terminals No. 3 and No. 7. Ohmmeter should indicate no continuity. Using a 1.5-volt dry cell battery, connect positive battery lead to power transistor terminal No. 3 and negative lead to terminal No. 6. See Fig. 8 . When battery is connected, ohmmeter should indicate continuity.

Connect ohmmeter between power transistor terminals No. 1 and No. 3. Ohmmeter should indicate no continuity. Connect dry cell battery positive lead to power transistor terminal No. 2 and negative lead to terminal No. 3. See Fig. 8 . When battery is connected, ohmmeter indicate continuity. Replace power transistor if it does not test as described.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3127/powertransistor8my.jpg

Edit: after posting this, I realized that the transistor has been modified, your's won't have the extra harness coming out of it, but that is the transistor and its bracket...

VR43000GT
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
It could be leaking caps in the ECU. A very common problem in 3/s's and DSM's.

gthompson97
01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Haha, I knew my info would come in handy eventually! Did it throw any codes (Check Engine Light)? The transistor pack could be a cause, but I don't see how that would just take a shit at the snap of a finger. Might as well do the test while the directions are there, otherwise pull the ECU and take the cover off of it and see if anything looks burnt or melted, it will most likely be the capacitors if there is anything funny looking.

Add your comment to this topic!