Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Olds Calais 2.5L Stalling

ASteen
01-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Alright heres what I know.
She starts up just fine in the begining. About 5 minutes into the drive it gives a little "kick" like the engine is going to stall. At the 10-15 minute mark it drives just fine. 15-20 minute mark it starts "kicking" again. 20-30 minute mark is when it starts to stall out at any stop. it'll start up about twice after that and run for 3-5 minutes. then it just dies. and I'll have to wait until it's fully cool to start it up again.

The check engine light never comes on, during a stall altough I lose all power to the car. The fluids are full, (change was done Nov '06) though I might have a small oil leak.

xeroinfinity
01-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Welcome to AF.

Sounds like its your TCC-Torque Converter Clutch is not disengaging when yo come to a stop. This is typical with these models of N body trans.

Pretty sure its on the driverside of the trans.
But I'm not certain. Some can be changed out DIY.

ASteen
01-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

i forgot to include, that it stalls while in park too. so I'm not sure if it's the TCC. Is it a possiblity from the sound of it that it might be dealing with the ignition switch or module?

xeroinfinity
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
It could be the ignition module, not really an ignition switch problem.

So yes you coils, plugs & wires could be contributing to your stalling.
Could also be you fuel system causing this.
Have you changed your fuel filter in the last 30-40k miles?

Might try that, and some new plugs and wires(if this hasnt been done recently) might help.

Add your comment to this topic!