Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

my new discovery

Hotshot8792
01-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Edit: Just ignore this, mods you can delete if you want to. Looks like someone had put part of a gvr4 casing on my tranny, and the bolt holes and casting already on the other side of the transmission threw me off. I talked to some gvr-4 guys, and their set up is the same as the vr-4, so i was just confused for a little while.

So I started working on my car once again last night because time has permitted me too. Most of ya'll already know my situation. Anyways, when I went out to work on the car, most everything was out of the engine bay except for the transmission, a bare shortblock, and the engine wiring harness. The first thing i did was work on dropping the transmission. As I was dropping the transmission, I noticed on the end where the cover to my end clutch is had the transmission code on it. It said W4A32.

Well this confused me as we all know that the 3/S ATX is an F4A33. So I look on the otherside of the tranny where the front driver's side axle went into, and i noticed 5 bolt holes. So the first thing I did was I called my friend with an RT/TT, who also used to own an SL before hand. He told me that the SL did not have those holes where has the RT/TT has them for the transfer case, so apperantly my automatic has a place for transfercase. Then I get on plymouthlaser.com, and discovered that the W4A32 is the automatic transmission found in a Galant VR-4.

So, appearantly the transmission i have had in my car, running as FWD, since day 1 is an AWD ATX. It seems to be different than the vr-4 tranny as far as how things are set up. For example, on the vr-4 tranny, there's a slot for the transfer case and a slot for the front axle, however, there is just a slot for the transfer case. Maybe on the galant vr-4s, the other front axle comes out of the other side of the transfer case. I dont know much about them, but fortunately, I know victor brant, the galant VR-4 god, so I might have to make a little trip up to his work and visit him this week.

So now I'm looking at doing an AWD conversion. I know it will be a royal pain, but I have access to a vr-4 rear end at a local junk yard. I want to at least look into this to see if I can make this into an all wheel drive automatic, because that would just be sweet. If anyone knows any information on the galant trannies, or runs across anything regarding this case, feel free to chime in and give me ideas. My car is already completely apart right now, so I might as well see what I can do with this. I will be doing lots of research myself.

Morphius289
01-21-2007, 05:42 PM
o.O

Weird.

Linebckr49
01-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Edit: Just ignore this, mods you can delete if you want to. Looks like someone had put part of a gvr4 casing on my tranny, and the bolt holes and casting already on the other side of the transmission threw me off. I talked to some gvr-4 guys, and their set up is the same as the vr-4, so i was just confused for a little while.

aww, you had me excited there for a bit. but if your ATX really was an AWD ATX, then you would have seen a hump with a little splined axle coming out the rear where the transfer case mounts. that little splined shaft may be removable if one was drive his car in 'fwd mode,' but i'm not that well versed in AWD trannies.

but, several times on ebay i've seen JDM AWD ATX trannies for sale. they include the tranny and transfercase. not sure how often you frequented 3Si in the past 8 months, but there was a guy Nelson Bernarde who had more money that he had sense, and all he did was talk talk talk, but finally after the biggest hype-fest in the 3S world, he built a monster VR4 AWD ATX with i forget what huge turbos. he put down around 950 at around 32psi before he blew his motor. a lot of fabrication was involved for the AWD ATX, but there are easier ways to do it.

also, one of 3SX's race cars (T4, perhaps?) is an AWD ATX. i can't remember if they sourced their tranny from Japan or from IPT (http://www.importperformancetrans.com/).

if ur intersted, do a search on 3Si. you'll get a few hits for the 3SX car, but you won't find any actual threads on Nelson's car b/c he left 3Si (everyone hated him) and he's a weird paranoid dude so he deleted every thread and post he ever made.

but keep us posted on your quest to AWD ATX. that would be freakin sweet to built boost off the line, WITH an AWD launch. though, i'm pretty sure you're quite good at building boost of the line already...its just the little issue with the FWD tranny called 'traction.' :p

talskinyguy
01-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Emily on 3si has had a running AWD ATX car for a while now.

You need the AWD ATX and tcase from japan and the 6 speed rear end.

Yaggus
01-30-2007, 01:42 AM
Better late than never but what about the SR transmission? Surely that would be the easiest option for AWD automatic, given that you can buy them as, AWD automatic....

Hotshot8792
01-30-2007, 07:41 AM
yea, i know what i need for an awd conversion, and I could buy an AWD ATX, just thought I somehow ended up with an AWD transmission used as FWD to begin with. The mislabled part of the transmission is what threw me off. After comparing my transmission to other FWD 3/S's, I realized someone had just mislabled it.

Add your comment to this topic!