Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Review: Revell's Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

stijnbamps1
01-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Hi everybody,

I don't know if there are people waiting on this kit... Well, I was, and here's why: It's a Ferrari, people!!!
I had large expectations when I received this kit, and I was hooked on it when I opened the box. This must be one of the coolest Ferrari's ever made.

99 parts, a beautifully molded body with a separate hood. There's not a lot of mold lines to sand away, and they're very thin, so they will be sanded away easily.
The chassis comes in different parts, but everything is molded very well so there should be no fitting problems here. You get a good interior with it, although some people will think it's still not enough:lol: Anyways, there's always room for super detailing it.
Engine detail seems to be okay. You get a complete engine with it, plus extra's like radiators and fans.
One of the coolest things is the large brakes you get with the kit. They are huge and I'm afraid the weakpoint of the kit are the rims which are relatively small, together with the tires you get in the kit.
You already heard it, there is one downside: IMO the rims are small. Plus, they are over-chromed as well, just like the other chrome parts. But there's a workaround for this, and the chrome parts are laying in the bleach as we speak:grinyes:
A short conclusion: A very beautiful kit, nicely molded by Revell, with a good amount of parts. The weak point are the rims and the chrome plating.
On the overall a must-buy kit. If I would give it points it would receive a 8,5/10 on the overall.

Enough talking, here are the pics!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215560.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215559.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215562.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215566.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215567.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215571.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215557.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215569.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215572.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/stijnbamps/P1215563.jpg

Cheers'

Stijn

P.S.: The hood fits nicely on the bodywork!

Honny
01-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the review:D

i havent build any revell kits before..... but this one looks great !!

im gona wait till the Fujimi one comes out... i hope thats gonna be good too because their recent ferrari's have been done quite well like the F430.....

73superduty
01-21-2007, 11:12 AM
The body looks fabulous! It's a shame they had to mold it in RED :screwy:

It will be interesting to see the Fujimi one next to it. Let's hope the wheels are proper on it.

I've got a Revell 599 on order for myself. I really like this car and as most know, you either hate it or like it.

Chris

deltableh
01-21-2007, 11:24 AM
I have one of these on order, too! Chrome looks a little think, though :-/

Merkava
01-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, I haven't really seen many pics of the real car, so I'm amazed at how beautiful the lines are! Revell sure captured the essential Ferrari-curves on this one. I'm sure the wheels will look alright in the end.

Thanks for the review! :)

exhaust smoke
01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the review.

Eurgh... nasty chrome sprue!!!

Revell kits are good for 'filling gaps' where the others (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Aoshima or Fujimi) did not make such a model. Their kits are OK, but a little out of proportion when built. Just my :2cents:

blubaja
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
It does-look like a very interesting design. I had thought the rear window was a on piece design. The um..buttresses hid that from any pics I've seen so far. But the new Calaway used the same sort of buttress design. Kit looks pretty good. Wouldn't surprise me if fujimi also molded it in red:(

ZoomZoomMX-5
01-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Looking forward to getting this and the Fujimi variant, so far both seem to only offer the pentagram wheels instead of the factory 20" optional Challenge rims :disappoin Maybe Fujimi will soon offer an optional parts version w/sport seats and the Challenge rims as they did w/the F430's.

73superduty
01-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Bob, I'd hope they would try to offer the wheel and tire set separately so I don't have to dish out more cash for another car. Although, I think the Sportec's wouldn't look too bad on their.
Chris

Enzoenvy1
01-21-2007, 05:44 PM
That is looking good imo. I am still on the fence about the real car, but that was what I thought about the ENZO when it came out. It will grow after I research it more.

I think I will pick one of these up, thanks for the review!

patoffspyder
01-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Looks like a nice kit.
Is it from Revell USA or Revell Germany?

auw12
01-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the review! I was strongly expecting this kit too, just had no idea of its exactly release date. It looks really nice from revell, I think we can have a decent 599GTB after a few clean ups. Now the left thing was to order mine! Thanks!

drunken monkey
01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
sigh...

when will Revell learn that no one likes their wheel system?

stijnbamps1
01-22-2007, 03:40 AM
Looks like a nice kit.
Is it from Revell USA or Revell Germany?

It's Revell from Germany.

I want to ad something. The model is HUGE. In 1/1 the car is 466 cm. In Scale 1/24 its 19.5 cm! It has the correct size, but what a huge car!

CADguy
01-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the review. I canceled my order for the Fujimi version when this was announced in hopes that it would be a nice kit. I'm glad I did now.

RichardEvans
01-25-2007, 03:09 PM
It's Revell from Germany.

I want to ad something. The model is HUGE. In 1/1 the car is 466 cm. In Scale 1/24 its 29.5 cm! It has the correct size, but what a huge car!

466 cm (real car in 1:1) divided by 24 (the scale) is 19.41 Cm

The model is 198cm

bigfrit
01-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Guess mister Bamps has drank a little beer while measuring.

stijnbamps1
01-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Guess mister Bamps has drank a little beer while measuring.

I used your measuring tape.

stijnbamps1
01-26-2007, 06:13 AM
466 cm (real car in 1:1) divided by 24 (the scale) is 19.41 Cm

The model is 198cm

198mm would be more correct:lol:

RichardEvans
01-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I meant 19.8 CM, I should have put the dot, but yea lol.

deltableh
02-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, I found out today that this car has shipped for me today. I already know what color I will be painting it, and that I'll be bringing some of my supplies up here to college so I can enter it into the Ferrari contest.

Also for the Ferrari contest, I have plans on finishing my 360CS Spyder (maybe with a roll cage?) and also a SuperAmerica, probably in that order.

ales
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
I bought the kit, and while the general impression is ratehr favourable, the devil is in the details, isn't it? A little piece here and a little piece there are wrong, and the biggest let-down so far for me seem to be the headlights - horrible in their inaccuracy. Interestingly, Superamerica and F430 from Revell suffer from the same problem with the headlights, yet their 612 kit is as good as perfect in that area. The tail lights are too plain perhaps, but I haven't seen the Fujimi kit in person to compare them to the Fujimi effort.

Engine detail seems adequate and so is the fit of the hood, even if some additional material will be required to redo the rounded corners near the windshield. Defintely better than the SA. Hinges are a joke, though.

All window pieces are installed from the outside and the fit is almost perfect (just one of the side windows doesn't want to align perfectly with the rear window, but I think I can cure that. The recesses in the rear fenders for the separated C-pillars are too deep to be accurate (the real car has none) but I'd venture a guess that it wouldn't be too obvious on a built model. Also the crome parts in my example have an uncharacteristically large amount of flash, especially noticeable on the wheels (not that I'm planning to use them).

So far this is all I have noticed for you to watch out for. The general impression is quite favourable, as I've said. In fact, had it not been for the horrible headlights, I probably wouldn't have written this post.

Veyron
02-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I bought the kit, and while the general impression is ratehr favourable, the devil is in the details, isn't it? A little piece here and a little piece there are wrong, and the biggest let-down so far for me seem to be the headlights - horrible in their inaccuracy. Interestingly, Superamerica and F430 from Revell suffer from the same problem with the headlights, yet their 612 kit is as good as perfect in that area. The tail lights are too plain perhaps, but I haven't seen the Fujimi kit in person to compare them to the Fujimi effort.

Engine detail seems adequate and so is the fit of the hood, even if some additional material will be required to redo the rounded corners near the windshield. Defintely better than the SA. Hinges are a joke, though.

All window pieces are installed from the outside and the fit is almost perfect (just one of the side windows doesn't want to align perfectly with the rear window, but I think I can cure that. The recesses in the rear fenders for the separated C-pillars are too deep to be accurate (the real car has none) but I'd venture a guess that it wouldn't be too obvious on a built model. Also the crome parts in my example have an uncharacteristically large amount of flash, especially noticeable on the wheels (not that I'm planning to use them).

So far this is all I have noticed for you to watch out for. The general impression is quite favourable, as I've said. In fact, had it not been for the horrible headlights, I probably wouldn't have written this post.

If any body parts need replacing...you can always use a Supra's parts.:icon16:

drunken monkey
02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
the intake/airbox doesn't match that of the real car.
detail on transmission tunnel is slightly wrong (missing some detail)
same dodgy fitting of exhaust from engine to pipes running under interior/passenger as seen in the 612 although not as bad.
and you got be careful not to sand away the very, very slight angle at the bottom of the body shell where the rear bumper meets the diffuser.

bhop73
02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the review. I think I will wait for the Fujimi kit myself. The molding on Revell just seems soft overall to me.

as a side note, I saw the real car yesterday on the street while walking back from lunch. It looks so beautiful in person, but sounds pretty quiet compared to all the other Ferraris i've heard, which is most modern ones. (I work 2 blocks from a Ferrari shop)

Veyron
02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the review. I think I will wait for the Fujimi kit myself. The molding on Revell just seems soft overall to me.

as a side note, I saw the real car yesterday on the street while walking back from lunch. It looks so beautiful in person, but sounds pretty quiet compared to all the other Ferraris i've heard, which is most modern ones. (I work 2 blocks from a Ferrari shop)

Ferrari's are generally quiet unless it's a CS, if you do hear one that's sort of loud more than likely it has a Tubi exhaust system on it.

bhop73
02-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Ferrari's are generally quiet unless it's a CS, if you do hear one that's sort of loud more than likely it has a Tubi exhaust system on it.

Well, I see/hear about 10+ drive by a day, F40, Enzo, F50 a couple times.. mostly F430's and F360's (some CS versions) and they are all pretty loud, every one. I doubt they all have custom exhausts, although, I could be wrong, this is Southern California, the land of car customization. I have to say, the F50 was the loudest and most mean sounding though. It's pretty nice to hear that music every day at work. After a year and a half of working there, I've almost reached the point when I can tell the difference in the sound when they take off from the intersection. The Enzo for example, has a distinctive sound compared to the others, it's so beautiful.. *drool*

georges99
02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I am so happy to see that the kit is out.

Please, would you tel me where you got it from ?

I have been looking on ebay for the past two weeks to find one. No luck so far.

I have seen a red one at the Ferrari dealer last night, it is big, but so wonderful. the car is simply amazing.

Now, I just have to find one to build.

Thank you in advance,
George

mikemechanic
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
The Enzo for example, has a distinctive sound compared to the others, it's so beautiful.. *drool*
Oh yeah. I heard an Enzo, it's awesome. The only thing that I heard better was the F248.

Mike.

Add your comment to this topic!