Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car wont start help!!! ECU problem

mtcs
01-21-2007, 01:52 AM
I lent my eclipse to my buddy and apparently he left the door open and the battery died. He tried jumping the car and I am pretty sure that that dumbass put the cables on backwards. He couldnt get it started at all. I went over and had to get it towed back to my place. I went over it and the alternator fuse was burned out. Replaced it and checked the rest of the fuses and Relays. All the other fuses were fine. I think the injectors arent getting fuel or there is no fuel to the fuel rail.

Does anyone know from experince if messing up the jump start cables could have burned out something in my Eprom ECU.

gthompson97
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
He could have seriously fucked up some major electrical shit. Do you have an extra ECU to swap in just to try (like from a buddies car or something)?

mtcs
01-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Nah....i dont have a spare ecu. I was going to take my ECU ouand go through it and see if all the connections are still ok. Does anyone know someonethat has a ECU I can borrow for a day or two?

mtcs
01-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Pulled the ECU. Opened it up and looked for anything damaged or burned. Everything appeared ok. How would I go about testing my ecu to see if the ecu is the problem or not without having to swap someone else's ecu into my car?

Mikelb
01-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't know how to check the ECU (other than looking for burnt spots), but I'd start assessing the problem like any other non-start problem...

What's a car need to run?
Air, Fuel, Spark (timing, etc...)

First, I'm certain that you're getting air in there...

Check the fuel pump, make sure it's pumping fuel... I pulled the line off the FPR and funneled it into a 2liter bottle... when I tried to start the car, fuel sprayed into the bottle

Next, Check spark(after reconnecting the FPR and removing the bottle and any fuel that may have spilled)... Pull a wire, have someone try to start the car... you'll be able to hear it (you can see it at night)...
make sure you pull at least two wires (best to get one's side by side, when my ignition coil went, cylinders 1 and 3 would fire, but not 2 and 4...)
If you have no spark, check the ignition coil... if that checks out, check the transistor pack...

^if you don't know how to check any of this, or what it is, let me know, I can find pics and instructions... I've just gone through a no-start situation (well, actually, still there)...

OK, actually... I typed all this without asking the major questions... so here they are:

What is the car doing?
Will it turn over?
do you hear spark? fuel pump?
any lights come on?

defiancy
01-23-2007, 04:59 AM
I almost gaurantee you that it is in the ECU.

A similar thing happened to my car and it turned out to be the ECU.

Add your comment to this topic!