Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with Alclad

Captain Mark
01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,

I've recently bought some Alclad "Pale Burnt Metal", which is supposed to be basically a metal colour, with a very slight brownish tinge to it.

After a few attempts of test spraying however, all I'm getting is gold. It's a bit of a pale gold, but it's gold none the less. All instructions have been followed to a tee on how to spray it. I seem to get virtually the same result when spraying on grey primer as highly polished Tamiya TS black lacquer (which the website suggests).

My question is: does anyone have any experience with this particular colour, and have they been able to get a non-gold, more "metal" sort of finish? Or have others also got a gold finish?

I really feel like I've just thrown away $12 on plain gold paint.
Any assistance would be great.

Mark

RallyRaider
01-21-2007, 04:28 AM
I've used Alclad II "Pale Burnt Metal" before and found the same as you. A very nice pale gold colour - useful or not depending on what you are looking for.

rsxse240
01-21-2007, 07:25 PM
it would make a great color for that gold color GM uses on their brake boosters from the mid 70's and older. I think it's some kind of zinc plating, or something. holley also used it on their carbs, as well as the high end quadrajets were kind of a goldish silvery color.

do you think this may be the application they are intedning?

robrex
01-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Mark,
For the pale burnt metal appearance you would be better off getting the new Tamiya weathering set D. It does a great job on the burnt metal look.
here's the link to HLJ

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM87088

The alclad could be painted first then use the pale blue and matt grey to improve the look. I wouldn't consider it a waste of money.

Captain Mark
01-22-2007, 05:52 AM
Cheers guys.
Rob: I've actually got one of those on order! Along with lots of other goodies... damn I love HLJ.

I've been experimenting more with the Pale Burnt Metal, and I'm starting to get a feel for it. I think the lighter coat you can do, giving good consideration to the base colour, will get the proper effect.

SeaBee
01-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Somewhat off topic, I just got one of those sets! Surprisingly, it was even available locally... Anyways, you won't be sorry, Mark. I just played around with it a bit over the weekend and it's really nice.

Dave5.0
01-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Do they offer the Aclad paint in an Aerosol can?

Lusitano
01-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Do they offer the Aclad paint in an Aerosol can?

Afraid not.
Airbrush and primer (either gray acrylic or black enamel) mandatory. :uhoh:

Cheers,
Lusitano

Add your comment to this topic!