Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camry 2000 Check Engine Light Code HELP>>>>>>

minh100
01-20-2007, 06:28 PM
My camry 2000 recently the engine light's on and the codes are P0446 and P0401

P0401:The PCM has determined that there is insufficient flow in the exhaust gas recirculation system.

P0446: The PCM has determined that a malfunction exits in the electrical circuit fo the vent control in the evaporative emission control system.

I have no idea what these mean and please help me to solve these problems

Thank you.

RIP
01-20-2007, 06:57 PM
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0401-insufficient-exhaust-gas-recirculation-flow-egr.php

This is from the Factory Service Manuals thread at the top of the forum: http://tril.shineautoproject.com/camry/99/Emission_Control.pdf

Brian R.
01-20-2007, 07:14 PM
See also the FAQ post related to OBDII codes:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3203705&postcount=21

minh100
01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Thank you for your fast respond for these problems. I clean the egr vacuum and egr value, after install it back together I disconnected the batery and the check engine light is gone for now.

Thank you for your time and talent.

minh100
01-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok, the check engine light is on again. What should I do next? Should I change the EGR value, EGR vacuum or sensors?

Thank You

RIP
01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I've never had to troubleshoot either system so I can only speak in general terms based on what I've read.

First confirm you are getting the same codes. What other syptoms are you seeing besides the light and codes?

Two ways to approach it. If money is not a concern change parts till you fix it. If money is a concern troubleshoot and test to prove a part is bad. A maintenance manual is essential to do this. $20 at many auto parts stores or on the internet. Many libraries have them.

The majority of evap system problems are caused by leaking/cracked/disconnected tubing. That would be my first move. First inspect connections at every component in the system. Then inspect the lines to and from each component as best you can. Some may be hidden from view. If all that looks good start testing. Refer to the links in our other posts and your new maintenance manual. If nothing checks bad, then you have to determine the most likely component creating the problem.

Dito for the EGR system. Keep in mind it very well may be the EGR valve, however, many make the mistake of changing the valve without considering the switches that apply the vacuum to it. Thats where testing will reveal the problem. Takes a little extra time and effort but, can save precious bucks.
Refer to links and your manual.

Do a search of the forum using the search function. Preface your entry with camry to keep the info specific. There's plenty of experiences there. I'll keep looking for info. Keep in touch.

OBTW - Page three of the FAQs Brian R mentioned is what you are looking for. Great info there.

Brian R.
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
OBTW - Page three of the FAQs Brian R mentioned is what you are looking for. Great info there.

In my previous post, I have linked directly to the post of relevance in the FAQ thread. The page number of any thread will depend on your default number of posts per page you select. For me, it is on page 2.

RIP
01-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Forgot about this one. One easy thing to look at for the evap system code is your gas cap. Make sure the seal is good and make sure it's on tight. A loose cap can give you a code.

Brian - Thanks for the 6 check.

Brian R.
01-23-2007, 02:36 PM
A loose or non-sealing gas cap triggers DTC P0440.

RIP
01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok, the check engine light is on again. What should I do next? Should I change the EGR value, EGR vacuum or sensors?

Thank You

Good info on EVAP P0446 code source:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248149&highlight=camry+P0446 Especially post #4

Brian R.
01-23-2007, 07:17 PM
To clarify the scope of the P0440, P0441 and P0446 DTCs, here are reproductions of part of the Diagnostics section of a 2000 Toyota Repair Manual.

Note that the P0440 reflects uncharacteristic pressures in the components within the dotted line only. The same goes for the diagram of the components within the dotted line for the P0441 and P0446 DTCs.

Only the P0440 code will show a problem with pressure (or lack of pressure) within the fuel tank. The fuel tank cap is only cited as a potential source of the DTC in P0440, not in P0441/P0446.

Note that the potential problems are listed with the most probable culprit on the top of the list.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/P0440_Diagram.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/P0441_and_P0446_Diagram.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/P0441_and_P0446.jpg

Brian R.
01-23-2007, 07:23 PM
minh100, are you sure the code you read was P0401 and not P0441? P0441 and P0446 are commonly found simultaneously. P0401 is independent of P0446 and would be quite a coincidence. That would explain your lack of success in dealing with the EGR system thus far.

vertigo14k
05-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I had the same problem with my 2000 camry, the same codes where coming up. I ended up replacing the vsv (vacuum switch valve) and it didn't fix it. Did other small maintenances on the side and still no luck. Then the last thing that I did, which I should have done from the very beginning was to replace the gas cap. Problem when away!

hotpursuit
05-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Had codes P0440, P0441 and P0446. Replaced the charcoal canister with a used unit which included the vapor pressure sensor and VSV. CEL came on again - same 3 codes. Checked VSV for EVAP on top of engine per procedures found here on AF - ok. Replaced gas cap - still getting same 3 codes. Check large vent hose (air drain hose) on charcoal canister - found black widow spider & web inside - removed the invader. Now getting codes P0440 and P0446 only. Switched back to orginal gas cap - still getting codes P0440 and P0446. Any thoughts or suggestions?

hotpursuit
05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Additional question - Is there anything special about the vacuum hoses used on the charcoal canister and the rest of the evap system? Can I purchase a couple of feet of vacuum hose and cut it length and just replace the hoses. If I go to all the trouble to remove the hoses why not just replace them and be 100% sure that there are no pinholes or blockages. What is the inside diameter of the various hoses?

somick
05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Additional question - Is there anything special about the vacuum hoses used on the charcoal canister and the rest of the evap system? Can I purchase a couple of feet of vacuum hose and cut it length and just replace the hoses. If I go to all the trouble to remove the hoses why not just replace them and be 100% sure that there are no pinholes or blockages. What is the inside diameter of the various hoses?
Make sure the hoses are made for evap system. They failed my smog once because I used hoses marked for fuel.

Good luck
Sam

zzyzzx2
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
If it's anything like one of my other cars, those hoses went first while the other non EFE related hoses were perfectly fine. Probably has something to do with the gas fumes going through them.

Add your comment to this topic!