2002 Protege 5 Rpms Hunting

r82148v
01-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi all.. I have a 2002 P5 with about 40k miles it. It was running perfect until I decided to spray out and wipe clean the throttle body with "throttle body cleaner" following the directions provided on the can. Right after that the Rpms seem to hunt as in can stay still..

Sometimes sitting in idle, the rpms will all of a sudden bob up and down once or twice then level out.. If you just tap the gas the rpms will also bob up and down once or twice. Also most of the time while sitting at a red light, the rpms are so low that the car shakes like it is about the stall but it never does stall. I have also noticed low rpm power is at a loss..

After spraying the throttle body out, I noticed these cars use an EGR ??
could this be clogged with gunk from spraying the TB out? The EGR is hooked to the bottom of the TB which I figured the gunk just went right into there.

What do you guy think??

Thanks

Doug Tatham
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd remove the egr valve and spray out the line that leads to the egr valve. After you're done, inspect the egr valve and make sure it isn't clogged up or stuck. If it's stuck open, you'll have some serious idle issues.
Check the idle control valve to make sure it didn't get gunked up if the egr seems ok.

Add your comment to this topic!