Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car cuts with boost

bryan_bigd
01-19-2007, 01:20 AM
hey so i have a 1995 talon tsi awd. i have alot of stuff done to the car and i have always had this problem. when i turn the boost up past like 21-22 pounds of boost the car will all the sodden just stall for a second. now first off i just thought that it was fuel cut out. but i have a walbor 255 fuel pump and lucus 550cc injectors and just got the new apexi fuel manigment system"the neo" and it still does it. i really dont know what is wrong and was just woundering if any one has run into the same problem and might have an answer. also i have 2 3/4 in upper intercooler pipe and i dont think the stock lower is leaking. i do have a cheap greddy type rs blowoff valve. the car has a 6 bolt motor. i dont think that that makes a difference. lots a crap done to the car. if you have any ideas please let me know.

Blackcrow64
01-19-2007, 01:52 AM
We need a little more detail about the actual problem... Is it all the time after you turn up the boost to that point or is it only once the turbo actually builds that much pressure?... It does indeed sound like a possible fuel cut problem, but you should be ok with your pump and injectors. Do you have the higher RPM's tuned correctly for running that much boost? What else are you using besides the neo? Datalogger? Wideband? Anything?

Mikelb
01-19-2007, 08:18 AM
We need a little more detail about the actual problem... Is it all the time after you turn up the boost to that point or is it only once the turbo actually builds that much pressure?... It does indeed sound like a possible fuel cut problem, but you should be ok with your pump and injectors. Do you have the higher RPM's tuned correctly for running that much boost? What else are you using besides the neo? Datalogger? Wideband? Anything?
:1:

more details...

is the car running rich?!? when was last tune up?!? O2 sensor?!? BOOST LEAK?!?(can cause fuel cut)...

northendtrooper
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
i say check your fuel filter, because your starting to suck fuel through and it could slow it down a little then start to pick back up again.
if not go throught the fuel system and check your timing too, it could be retarded and need to be set more advanced.

gthompson97
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
You say you just got the Neo. Did you have this problem before you switched to the Neo? You may have some settings fucked up and are starving the car of fuel.

bryan_bigd
01-19-2007, 03:42 PM
well the problem happens when i run like more than 20 pounds of boost constent. the more boost i run the faster it does it. but i have a air fuel mixture gadge and it says that i am running rich. i have new plugs and wires. iradem plugs and aem 9.3 wires. it might be the fuel filter. i think that it is one of two thing. either fuel proplem or a intercooler leak. im not sure. i do not have any thing else like a data programer. when i put the fuel pump in the car the little rubber washer that is connecting the pump to the fuel line might be busted. it might be leaking out of the blowoff valve to. but when it cuts out it is a hard cut. like the car goes from 400 hp pullying hard to like trowing it into reverce. it sucks.

Mikelb
01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
well the problem happens when i run like more than 20 pounds of boost constent. the more boost i run the faster it does it. but i have a air fuel mixture gadge and it says that i am running rich. i have new plugs and wires. iradem plugs and aem 9.3 wires. it might be the fuel filter. i think that it is one of two thing. either fuel proplem or a intercooler leak. im not sure. i do not have any thing else like a data programer. when i put the fuel pump in the car the little rubber washer that is connecting the pump to the fuel line might be busted. it might be leaking out of the blowoff valve to. but when it cuts out it is a hard cut. like the car goes from 400 hp pullying hard to like trowing it into reverce. it sucks.

That sounds like some major fuel cut happenin' ... that AF gauge is a pos... less you have a wideband, don't trust them... I suggest checking for a boost leak... Also, if you have a fuel leak you really might wanna get that checked out :uhoh:

I had the same problem with the fuel cut when I bought my car... 17lbs on stock 14b... the AFC helped out, but shit was still bad til I fixed all the leaks (I think I damn near had a record for leaks going)...

gthompson97
01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah I'd say you're hitting some major fuel cut. Probalby keep the boost down until you can get some more fuel before you detonate that engine. Also turbo cars don't like Irridum plugs IIRC. Just get some regular NGK's and those will be the best ones for your car. Do a boost leak test and see if you're getting any leaks, but if that were the case, it wouldn't "hit a wall", it would just run shitty to begin with.

Blackcrow64
01-20-2007, 03:47 AM
I'll have to agree and say that does sound like a fuel cut... Try turning down the boost a few pounds and see if you run into the same problem.

bryan_bigd
01-20-2007, 08:54 PM
no it only does it above 20lbs. hey i am gonna cheak my air fuel gadge and make sure that i have it hooked up right. what color wire coming off the front o2 sencer do i hook it to. it is on a 1995 talon tsi awd. 5 speed. just make sure i have that right one. i am just gonna buy cams and a front mount intercooler and see if that fixes it. if not the i will really worry about it. but if you know what wire i hook that fuel gadge to that would be great. thank

Talon69
01-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I also believe your hitting fuel cut, those a/f gauges are junk not accurate at all, i have one but its just to fill in my 3rd hole in my pod lol. You need a wideband like stated if you want a good reading.

Also i would really like to see some videos of this 12.1 1/4 mile run if you do not mind? why i ask is because you still have smic.

If your running that then i should be down there with the stuff i have. Never ran it yet at the track since build.

Here is my vid when i was almost stock
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b2ef7aae-ba8d-46c0-9bb5-2a0eb019e5a9.htm

Mikelb
01-20-2007, 09:34 PM
...turbo cars don't like Irridum plugs IIRC. Just get some regular NGK's and those will be the best ones for your car. Do a boost leak test and see if you're getting any leaks, but if that were the case, it wouldn't "hit a wall", it would just run shitty to begin with.

not to jack the thread, but everyone told me that the Iridiums were ok, b/c the cars liked them and they didn't wear out as fast...

I've been running 16.5lbs of boost on iridiums and haven't had any problems... I b/l it's platinums that the turbos don't like ;)

gthompson97
01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Turbo cars really don't like platinums, and IIRC, irridums aren't much better, so I just tell everyone that so there's no question. Stock NGK plugs FTW.

steviek
01-21-2007, 01:20 AM
I remember this thread Iridiums are fine
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=612659&highlight=iridium

bryan_bigd
01-21-2007, 05:32 PM
hey i do not have any videos of me draging that car. but i will get some when the strip open's again. but looking at your mods you should be right around there. did you get the fuel pump and 1000cc injectors. how high can you turn your boost. i was running 22 lbs at the time and for some reason the car was not cutting out that time and i pulled 12.1, but sence then i have the NEO and a few little things. also i have hks 264 and 272 cam and cam gears on the way. next pay check i am gonna order the front mount and a new set of wheels and better tires. plus as long as im not hitting cut out i can turn the turbo as high as 26 and level at about 24-25. i think that as long as i get a good lounch i should be in the 11's heak even with a bad one i shoud still be in the 11s just higher 11s haha. about what is your 0-60.

gthompson97
01-21-2007, 06:52 PM
I think you'd better upgrade the injectors and be looking at a better tuning device if you want to hit 11's. 950 injectors and dsmlink would be the next step before getting some better wheels/tires. Just my 2 cents.

bryan_bigd
01-21-2007, 08:25 PM
well the 550 will run about a 11.5 but yea i am gonna get a set of bigger ones. one of my friends knows a kid that want 550 and sence mine are like new i think that he is gonna buy them and i am gonna get another set. so i will not have to pay but a few bucks for them. but i really want to just get the intercooler and cams and run it a few time and i will probley sell it. i work at a car dealiship now and i think that i am gonna buy a evo. i want something a little newer.

bryan_bigd
01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
hey do you think that the reason that i am haveing cut out is because of the injectors. i mean i guess that would make sence have any of you guys had a problem where you did not have big enough injectors. what happened

gthompson97
01-30-2007, 05:42 PM
Fuel cut will happen because of too small of injectors or a pump that can't keep up. And if turning down the boost makes the problem go away, then my guess is that you're over-running those injetors.

Add your comment to this topic!