Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater hoses..

ikeyballz
01-18-2007, 07:59 PM
this isnt really a prob. diaganosis..i know what it is, im just asking for suggestions..

well all of you with 4th gen F-bodies know that the heater hose turn from rubber->aluminum..so

question 1) why is it like that? its so retarded..
2) what should i do? my hose is all worn out.. i need to buy a new one but i dont know where to get it.. is it a dealer item?
3) will it be a problem if i just plug the hoses? i dont need a heater, since i live in hawaii.. so its no big deal if i have no heater
4) if im not supposed to plug it, what do you think of a heater-bypass.

im pretty pissed cuz i just dropped ~grand into my brakes/ suspension recently.

new rotors, all ceramic pads... shocks, etc.

-_- seems like one thing after another :/

97cavalier
01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
i heard about this befor. I think to actully fix it you have to get core or line from the dealer.

wrightz28
01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
If you absolutely don't need heat, I'd just bypass it and forget about it. :dunno:

ikeyballz
01-19-2007, 02:53 PM
so you nguys think i should bypass instead of just plug? i plugged the inlet and outlet from the engine + radiator.. and i blew a plug. lol, i think the pressure built up too much once it hit 213 it started shooting water. had to drive home with the temp ~250 :/ shit, i was so mad..

i guess im gonna buy a random hose and look it back to bypass.

oh guys, word of advice..

if your temp doesnt ever ever climb, try buy a new one..its only like 10 bucks, and with a 3/4 wrench + bucket of coolant you're good to go in 15-20 min.

turns out my coolant temp sensor was all covered in corrosion also and didnt say the right temp all the time..

i was runnig hotter then i thought i was, cuz the needle was always under 210..

wrightz28
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
whadafuh was all that?

You seriously lost me there.

You blew a plug (spark, freeze, or whatever you plugged the hose with)

ikeyballz
01-19-2007, 03:46 PM
haha, my bad. little too tired cuz of lack of sleep.. not to mention on at school..

so since the heater hoses go from the engine (bottom) to the engine (top) i figured okay, lets just buy rubber plugs..which are like hoses except they have a cap at the end, to plug it.
turns out they didnt have the 3/8th plug so i bought one bigger..

i had to crank the hose clamps down.. and that cut into the plug, and that made the plug fail when it hit boiling temp. the water boiled +pressure = plug with a hole in it..

so i was wondering if i should just by-pass the heater.. or keep the plugs.

i was wondering if the water needed to circulate from the bottom up or the top down..

or if it IS actually ok to just plug the damn thing

wrightz28
01-19-2007, 03:58 PM
You pretty much figured the physics of the situation out on your own (the hard way :( ) , you just need to run a hose and skip the core all togther.

ikeyballz
01-22-2007, 01:01 AM
thanks. yeah, i did it.. seems like it works pretty awesomely :)

scared the shit out of me tho cuz i thought i cracked something.. cuz it leaked a LITTLE coolant when i started the bugger up.

it turns out it was cuz i spilled it earlier filling the thing up :D

wrightz28
01-22-2007, 09:49 AM
thanks. yeah, i did it.. seems like it works pretty awesomely :)

Congratulations, you're now the first Hawaiin redneck I know :spit:

ikeyballz
01-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Congratulations, you're now the first Hawaiin redneck I know :spit:

hahahahaha.

awesome! just to let ya know im asian. =P

bought my car from a south+north carolina family who moved down for the military. been beating+reparing it since.

always loved american muscle.. never liked those damn fartcan civic/corolla/hatch etc.

love to be called a redneck! lmfao:rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!