Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 4cyl running rough/missing

FRANKENCAMRY
01-17-2007, 08:08 PM
My 93 LE (5SFE) suddenly started running rough and/or misfiring. In park or neutral it's not severe. But in gear and moving it's very noticable, the engine hesitates, stumbles, and has low power. If I maintain a steady speed and RPM it can seem almost normal, but if I accellerate or let off it gets rough.
Standing outside listening to the idle the exhaust is making a strange sputter.
Check engine light is not on.

My plan is to inspect/replace plugs, wires, rotor, cap. Any other advice would be appreciated

One possible factor, which may just be coicidence, is that this began on the coldest morning in a year. (about 10 deg F)

somick
01-17-2007, 08:38 PM
You may also check for vacuum leaks as well

Sam

Brian R.
01-17-2007, 09:49 PM
May be your ignition coil.

FRANKENCAMRY
01-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Update: Replacing the old Champion spark plugs (put in by previous owner) with new NGKs seems to have solved it. After a 25 mile test drive it's running as good or better then when I got it. Also the stopped-in-drive vibration is a little less than before.
Based on what I had read here and on alt.autos.toyota.camry I was expecting to need to clean or replace the in-distributor ignition coil. Glad I didn't go straight there.

FRANKENCAMRY
01-23-2007, 09:56 PM
After replacing the plugs I still have one symptom...
Once the engine is warmed up it stumbles at idle. By this I mean that once every 10 or 20 seconds the RPMs will dip suddenly for a moment (a second or two) then recover.
When the engine is started cold it idles fine.
Any thoughts?

somick
01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Did you check/replace wires and distributor cap?

I still would recomend check for vacuum leak

Sam

FRANKENCAMRY
01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Replacing the plug wires has fixed the idle stumble

Add your comment to this topic!