Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Remote for keyless entry

plnoble
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
I just bought a 1997 crv and the dealership gave me two aftermarket keys. The car has power locks. How can I find out if I can use a keyless entry remote for this particular vehicle?

Thanks for any help.

Onblsht
01-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Try the programming mode. If you have keyless entry and do this right, the locks will cycle up and down signalling that you entered programming mode. Since you probably dont have remotes yet, just remove your key from the ignition to EXIT programming mode. This doesn't harm the car at all, but will confirm if you have keyless entry and if you can program remotes.

do steps 1 - 12 on the same remote AT TIME OF PROGRAMMING BOTH REMOTES MUST BE PRESENT SINCE THEY WILL NOW BOTH BE HAVE TO REPROGRAM. the following steps 1-12 are done on a single remote step 13 is done on all remotes to be programmed upto 3 can be programmed

1) get into the car shut the doors and make sure they are unlocked
2) turn on the ignition (do not turn on the car just the ignition) (LISTEN FOR A QUIET CLICK)
3) press the lock button on remote (turn to off )
4) turn on the ignition (do not turn on the car just the ignition) (LISTEN FOR A QUIET CLICK)
5) press the lock button on remote (turn to off )
6) turn on the ignition (do not turn on the car just the ignition) (LISTEN FOR A QUIET CLICK)
7) press the lock button on remote (turn to off )
8) turn on the ignition (do not turn on the car just the ignition) (LISTEN FOR A QUIET CLICK)
9) press the lock button on the remote
the locks should chirp to indicate that programming mode was entered successfully
10) press the LOCK button on remote the doors should chirp again to confirm programming THIS STEP NEEDS TO BE DONE FOR EACH REMOTE
11) turn of the car fully and try locking/unlocking with remote

Add your comment to this topic!