Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OH OH, tried panel lining..

djmr2
09-25-2002, 07:29 PM
Hey guys

so i was bored and thought i'd try some panelling on a old model...

First Mistake, used a old Testors enamel bottle that i cleaned out and thought i could use it to make a big batch of a acrylic flat black wash to use...

i think maybe iput too much thinner(in this case 99% isoproply alcohol) and when i shook the bottle, it came out all over my hand..

maybe those bottles weren't designed for acrylics? or it was too thin cuz of the isopropyl...

So i try and panel line using capillary action and it works good cept i think i had too much solvent and the black lining was not that great when it dried. oh well..

tried to take off the excess paint with isopropyl and it kinda did its thin on the paint... paint was TS-50 with Testors Lacquer Clear Coat, this was done long time ago..

polishing took some of it out but the clear coat was too thin and i was rubbing out color so i thought i'd stop..

check out the pic

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/577288DSC00022.JPG

maybe the Tamiya Thinner would have worked better, or maybe i should just try a enamel wash.

daggerlee
09-25-2002, 07:37 PM
Ouch...I think you need to try some 70% ispropyl alcohol.. (like 70 cents for a small bottle at most supermarkets) An enamel wash will probably work better, just be sure to use straight up mineral spirits, not brand name enamel thinner (like Model Masters) which can melt the paint since they have chemicals of lacquer thinner in them too.

935k3
09-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Testor's Gloscote is the problem it comes off with alcohol, it reminds me of a shellac or varnish.

djmr2
09-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Dang and it was Lacquer glosscote

but the tamiya stuff came off pretty easily too with the isopropyl..

i will try the Enamel stuff..

can i use the Mineral Spirits for thinning?
or should i get the Tamiya Thinner or Testors Thinner (not airbrush cleaner).

935k3
09-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Save your self all this trouble and give India ink applied with a sharp toothpick a try. It wipes off with water until dry and after dry you can polish away or use ammonia(which doesn't hurt paints)to clean up. It is allot safer than using enamels.

djmr2
09-25-2002, 10:38 PM
where do i get india ink??

primera man
09-26-2002, 12:51 AM
I've got two words for you.......GUNDAMMARKER PEN !!!
:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

:frog:

flyonthewall
09-26-2002, 05:18 AM
...or thin Tamiya acrylics (any waterbased acrylic) with water and the smallest amount of dish washing detergent to break the surface tension to help it flow.

935k3
09-26-2002, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by djmr2
where do i get india ink??

Any Art Supply or Craft store, ask for India drawing ink(waterproof)

Add your comment to this topic!