Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 LE camry engine wont turn..possible lock up

nehpets
01-16-2007, 07:15 PM
The car will power up but wont start. i dont even hear a clicking sound. it has 178,000 miles and i would like to fix the problem, but dont even no where to begin to look. I dont wanna pay to get it towed to a shop,unless neccessary. Can someone help me please

RIP
01-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Make sure your battery connections are tight and not corroded. If the battery has a charge indicator on the case make sure it indicates a full charge. If there are removable caps check the water level and top off if needed. Try jump starting the car with another car using jumper cables. If it starts let it run at least 20 minutes to charge the battery. Just because your instrument lights etc are coming on doesn't mean the battery is suppling all the power it is supposed to.

If you continue to have problems in the next few days, take the battery to a shop or parts store and have them charge it and perform a load test. If the battery is 4 years old or more just buy a new battery.

Try wiggling the gear shift lever and jiggling the ignition switch.

These are the first steps. If a jump start doesn't work, the battery charges and tests ok, or a new battery doesn't fix it, come on back. Do you have a multimeter or know someone who has one and can use it?

Add your comment to this topic!