Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

mx5 straight six

Rich83
01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi, has anyone ever herd of or seen an mx5 with a straght six engine? I can't seem to find anyone who's attempted it. Obviously itl be tight but Im fairly confident its do able! Im gonna try and fit a toyota supra 7mge engine in mine. Id very much appreciate any advice. Cheers.

SaphusGT
01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
That's Fucking Awesome! good luck... and be ready to run low 10's if you follow it up!

Rich83
01-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Thanks, well i think if i can get the straight six in there (which i think i can) the tuning possibilities will be endless. It would be an awsome car! I just can't find any1 thats done it! Not to worry I will manage on my own!

Rand Race
01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't count on that fitting. I've heard tell of an attempt to put a Nissan RB20 I6 into a Miata and that involved cutting the firewall and still moved the CoG forward quite a bit. Plus I never heard if they actually got it running or not. The Toyota mill is even bigger IIRC (3L?).

I'd love an I6 Miata myself (BMW unit preferably) but if you want smooth power in one you'll have a lot more luck with a rotary swap... and that ain't exactly easy to pull off since the drive-shaft of a rotary sits so much lower than a piston engine. Smallblock Ford V8 is still the easiest swap to do although Nissan SR20s and Honda F20s are becoming more popular.

Doubletap
01-31-2007, 11:40 PM
I am gonna say that this wold take lots more work than it is worth. I guess the worth is a subjective term but you get the point. I have seen everything from a 13b rotary to an LS1 shoved into a miata but nothing as long as an I6... I think there are a lot better options out there that would not require quire the hassle and could give you better results.

DoubleTap

Don Rauh
04-12-2007, 11:39 AM
A six no. But heard about a co. somewhere that is dropping ford V8's in. Monster Miata I think it's called. You can find it on the web I'm sure.....Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!