Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ferrari 355 engine question

drunken monkey
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
hello all.

I've been digging around for reference images for a Ferrari 355 Berlinetta V8 and I've got a few questions that inconsistant information on the net has caused

i) was the intake/airbox set up from the spider ever used in a berlinetta.
There are photos on the net that SAYS it's from a GTB but I could've sworn. having seen it in person, that it was used on the GTS.

ii) some articles say that the gearbox in the F355 was rotated 90 degrees (from what it was in the 348) to sit longitudinally behind the block. However, the few photos of complete engines still has what looks like a transverse engine and it still looks very much like a 348 engine. Can anyone confirm this for me?

iii) Does anyone have a photo of the complete exhaust assembly from the exhaust headers, to the junction where the bypass valve/join is and where they separate into the two parts of the silencer? I can't find any image that shows the complete system. I have a good idea of how it all goes but I can't find any detailed images to really work from.

That's all folks.
Thanks in advance.

nniemi
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Go to ferraridatabase.com . there you'll find 355 owners manual on downloads section. That should have answer to most of your questions.

-Niko

hirofkd
01-17-2007, 02:16 PM
ii)
I think it was the 360 which rotated the transmission back into longitudinal configuration. What the article mean is probably that the transmission was rotated 90 degrees compared to the more conventional layout of longitudinal engine & longitudinal transmission, not compared to the 348's.
The 355's transmission case looks too short and too wide for a longitudinal setup.
http://www.autotrend.com/95992354.html

drunken monkey
01-19-2007, 11:37 PM
ok.

that makes sense, in that the article I saw was wrong because you are right, that photo which I also have clearly shows that the gearbox is transverse.

And thanks for thate site; plenty of very useful photos but alas, still none of the actual bypass section of the exhaust.

anyway.
a modelling related question now:
let's say that some was going to try and scratch build an engine, what is the best way to replicate the ribbing on the cases/blocks?
try and shape them using some putty or try and cut perfectly straight mini strips of styrene without them curling?

bvia
01-20-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd be willing to bet the styrene strip method is about the only way to do it...

Good luck!

Bill

Add your comment to this topic!