Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Swap Moon Roof for Sun Roof

david-b
01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
I've got the roof that just flips up, and I want to get the one that rolls all the way open and back. Is it possible to swap out mine for the other one? I've taken out mine before, but I was just wondering if it was a direct replacement and if any other wiring needed to get done. Thanks.

Anyone selling one?

gthompson97
01-17-2007, 12:12 AM
Is it stock? If it just flips up, I'm pretty sure it's aftermarket and the hole would have to be modified to get the stock one in there. I'm actually in the process of doing this to the Talon, but I'm actually cutting the roof off of a car with the moon roof in it because I want that nice "rolled edge" when the sunroof is closed. I hate aftermarket sunroofs aren't mounted flush with the car, they look chessy as hell IMO.

david-b
01-17-2007, 10:10 AM
It's stock right now. The back of the glass just flips up, so it opens up about an inch or two. I like the one that rolls all the way back and leaves the whole top open. I'm not buying anything aftermarket for the roof. I want totally stock, but I',m just trying to find out if the stock are all the same size.

This is the kind I want:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/1/5/8/1/3/15813custom_sunroof_thumb.jpg

What I have now is just where the back piece has a flip up clip on it. So the back sticks up about 2 inches when open, but it doesnt slid back or anything. I hate those.

gthompson97
01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I know what you're saying, but I'm willing to bet that the person who had the car before you had it put in. I don't think our cars came with just sunroofs, it was either a moon roof or nothing.

david-b
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
It's stock. I've seen many with them in. The base base base models had them.

gthompson97
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I can honestly say I've never seen an Eclipse with just a sunroof, and I've seen ALOT of them. Measure yours and pull the headliner out and see if there are bolts there to bolt it up. When I go home I'll take some pics of mine without the headliner and we'll see if they match up....you might have to install a harness too.

l_eclipse_l
01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know if I would bother. A lot of the motorized ones have problems eventually, mine is already rattling pretty bad and dosn't sit flush with the top anymore when you look at it from the top of the car. I also hear they tend to leak...mine isn't to that point yet (as far as I know) but I hope it dosn't happen.

david-b
01-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Mines rattling pretty bad too. I have some rubber inbetween the little handle to flip it up and the plastic piece it rubs up against. I was just seeing if it was just a quick swap to do that. It seems like the sizes are the same, just need the wiring for the full one. I'm not about to pull my headliner now neither.

Talon69
01-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I have never seen are cars with a stock flip up sun roof either. I did not think they came like that. I thought it was moonroof or nothing.

But anyways gl man

Mikelb
01-23-2007, 12:48 PM
^to be honest, I haven't seen any like that... but I do b/l it was an option, he has the manual sun roof, the moon roof was powered...

Although I'm not sure a/b a swap... it'd be a pita...
mine would rattle also, but I never had a problem out of it...

Edit: maybe I've got the moonroof and sun roof backwards, either way, I b/l he has the manual one (doesn't slide back)...

Thor06
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
T tops FTW. Or Targa tops. I dont like just sun/moon roofs, I dont really know why. Maybe if I win the lottery the Talon will become a targa top :p.

Dave, I would do like Garrett said and measure the distance between the bolts. Garrett, maybe you could do that too, then you two could cross reference answers and see if its a direct replacement.

gthompson97
01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
IIRC, when I tore the headliner out of the talon, it had all the mounting bolts and that good stuff in there, even though it didn't come with a stock moon roof. I think the only difference between the moon roof models and the ones without was the physical hole and the tiny wiring harness that runs down the A-pillar, otherwise all the mounting is there, IIRC, that is.

Add your comment to this topic!