Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New To DSM's

Caspersr33
01-15-2007, 08:03 PM
I recentlly picked up a 93 talon DL. with out a motor. i picked up a motor with everything. an i re built it. all new gaskets timing belt, the works. but now im having problems. itll start an run, but it runs rough, on the first start after iinstallled everything, the Cat got supper Red ive never had this happen to me before. an Its throwing codes, I haven not checked them but im assuming its cuz the Mass Air Flow Sensor is missing, an the plug for the sensor is missing can anyone tell me if this is why its running rought an the cat got super Red

david-b
01-15-2007, 08:10 PM
You need a MAS for the car to run. Your car turned red because your Air to Fuel ratio was way off. Sounds likes you were running extremely rich then. You need a MAS. Get that and the connector and wire it up.

Caspersr33
01-15-2007, 08:25 PM
cool thank you, like i said i was new to DSM's an i couldnt figure out wat was going on, another question , itll run an drive but not very well. i thnk my timing might be off, an i couldnt find anything that shows how to fix or adjust the timing.

david-b
01-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Take care of the MAS first. That is the first and most important thing to deal with right now. Then, run the codes and see what it says and then go from there. Worry about the timing at a little later time.

l_eclipse_l
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Worry about the timing at a little later time.

BUT don't drive the car or even run it until you get it sorted out. You could screw it up royally if you haven't already by running it with the timing off.

LouieAWDTSi
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Cars always run like crap with the mas not on. That might make all the difference in how the engine runs for ya.

EDMUND65
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
you think your cat is plugged to?

Caspersr33
01-17-2007, 03:03 AM
ya thats wat i was guessing too. i was thinking bout just replacing everything from the cat back. but will see. thnks to all you guys for helping me out. now i just want to know if anyone knows of any good used parts sites.

gthompson97
01-17-2007, 02:04 PM
www.car-part.com
www.dsmtuners.com
www.ebay.com

local junkyards sometimes have cars with very good motors in them that have been smashed.

I would try the mas first before you start replacing the whole exhaust system.

Add your comment to this topic!