climate control display

bedpan
01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I just installed an original equipment Delco CD Player in my '94 PA.
Now the climate control display does not dim when I put the headlights on. The new radio does just like the old one. I am sure I did not disturb the climate control on installation.

It's like having a flashlight in the passenger compartment, very distracting and annoying.

Is there a seperate dimmer on each unit? If so, where would I find it?

padriver
01-15-2007, 04:30 PM
The problem is that the factory radio contains the dimming electronics for both the radio and the climate control display. So without it, the climate display is at max. brightness all the time.

I ran into this issue as well. There's not much you can do about it. If you are experienced with electronics you could try to build the dimming circuit separately. I just accepted the bright display...

bedpan
01-15-2007, 05:47 PM
If that's the case I don't mind living with it, but this is a factory unit from a 1994 Park Ave, so it should have the dimming electronics.

padriver
01-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh sorry, I totally didn't read your first post...:screwy:

Yes, you are absolutely right of course, the Delco unit should work perfectly. The dimming signals are on the separated (possibly black) connector on the radio, maybe this connector is not fastened properly.

BTW, there are two dimming functions: One is with the panel illumination intensity slider which continuously changes display intensity and the other is the fixed decrease in intensity if the headlights are switched on. Does neither function work?

bedpan
01-15-2007, 07:39 PM
I'll have to check the panal control when I get out of work.
Then I won't be able to post until tomorrow.

HotZ28
01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Are you absolutely sure, the replacement radio came from a PA with ACC? :uhoh: If you have the 14-pin connector, the dimmer circuit would be pin #10 and has a BRN wire. If you have the 32-pin connector, the dimmer would be pin #F4 and has a BRN/WHT wire. You can check the voltage on the dimmer wire and if it is lower with lights on then it is with lights off, it should work. (provided the radio has the dimmer function). :screwy:

bedpan
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Are you absolutely sure, the replacement radio came from a PA with ACC? :uhoh: If you have the 14-pin connector, the dimmer circuit would be pin #10 and has a BRN wire. If you have the 32-pin connector, the dimmer would be pin #F4 and has a BRN/WHT wire. You can check the voltage on the dimmer wire and if it is lower with lights on then it is with lights off, it should work. (provided the radio has the dimmer function). :screwy:

Eehhhhh................

I just unplugged everything from the back of the old radio and plugged it all back into the new one. Everything was identical.
And, no, the panal dimmer no longer dims the climate display.

I'll live with it.

HotZ28
01-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I'll live with it.
Welcome to the "living with it" club!:lol::lol:

Bassasasin
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the "living with it" club!:lol::lol:
Gosh Z... sounds lots could be tolerated by just turning up the radio?:popcorn:

Actually Im doing that right now, sort of. I hear a wrist pin knock in one of my cars (210Kmi)..
Asked my wife "do you hear that?" she said "No"
So.. OK... You drive it now, Ill drive the other..

:naughty::ylsuper:

HotZ28
01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Well there is always an alternative fix for anything that bugs you! :evillol: When I installed a Clarion ProAudio CD player in my car, I noticed the ACC display would not dim. I “lived with it” for awhile, then one day when I had nothing else to do, I stopped by a window tinting shop and ask them if they could neatly place a piece of 20% tint over the display. They did it in about 5-minutes and it looks like a factory job! You can easily see the display during the day and at night, it is not glaring at you like a Lazer-Blue, high beam headlight!:shakehead

Add your comment to this topic!