okokok... Paint Motor?!?

Earlsfat
01-15-2007, 02:07 PM
I saw an article yesterday in which somebody painted the valve ocvers, water pump, timing chain cover, steering pump and box, air filter, and intake and left everything else natural and it looked totally badass.

I was thinking of doing something along those lines, but don't know what kind of paint, etc you're supposed to use. The engine in the article was shiny so I'm guessing they clear coated it, but not sure.

Anyone got any suggetions? What kind of paint to use? Any special prep work? Anything that specifically should NOT be painted?

Thanks.

1986Z28
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
vht high temp should do it

Earlsfat
01-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Hmmm.. saw that stuff before. Do they have a clear coat, and do you know if it actually works?

wrightz28
01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Most high end show quality rebuild are a baked on, powder coat.

They had a episode on 'Trucks' covering some rattle can products but I couldn't see em holding up that well, never do. Onde way to test em is to spray down a cast iron fire pit with and and get nice fire goin. :2dents:

Earlsfat
01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Most high end show quality rebuild are a baked on, powder coat.

They had a episode on 'Trucks' covering some rattle can products but I couldn't see em holding up that well, never do. Onde way to test em is to spray down a cast iron fire pit with and and get nice fire goin. :2dents:

Hmmm... The one I was looking at was GLOSSY, not powder coated. It looked pretty damned sharp.

I contacted VHT, and they said that's what their paint does and that they have a clear coat for engine paint. The temp rating on it if 550*F. How hot does a motor get? I know the headers get alot hotter than 550* but not sure about the block, water pump housing, valve covers, etc.

Dude, spray paint and fire = flame thrower. :sly: You trying to off me for RD??? :lol: Seriously, what exactly did you mean?

High end quality show type build??? Keep in mind this thing is going to have Earl's brussel spout injection... that'll be quite a show, but not so high end... I want something that's gonna last, but I ain't paying no $500-$1000 to paint a freaking motor... hell I'll leave it all natural before I paid more that $100 to paint it.

CamaroRS92
01-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I painted my intake, valve covers, timing cover, water pump, alternator, ps pump, air pump and all of the pulleys & ect with the duplicolor acrylic enamel semi gloss. It's not high temp paint - just regular, and I havn't had any problems with it at all - looks great. Those parts just wont ever get hot enough to require high temp paint. I just went back with all black to match OEM.
I preped everything with a towel soaked in mineral spirits to remove all of the dirt, grease and oil then used a tac cloth to remove the lint before painting.
The only thing i was cautious about painting was the alternator. I tried to not spray paint directly thru the cooling fins and on the windings. Not sure if it would cause a problem or not but wasn't taking any chances

88camaroproject
01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
i think por 15 has a really nice engine paint. they usually have really good coatings. also i painted my motor with a duplicolor engine enamel(rattle can) and it works great. paints still good, and it is gas resistent too so it dosnt just dissapear when you get gas on it. it sticks good just clean it good with that purple power cleaner that you can buy at advance autoparts or autozone or some ace hardwares. it works amazingly

stepho
01-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Krylon makes a high heat spray paint. It comes in either black of silver.

Look for "BBQ" if you want black, and "Radiator" if you want silver. :icon16:

Earlsfat
01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I painted my intake, valve covers, timing cover, water pump, alternator, ps pump, air pump and all of the pulleys & ect with the duplicolor acrylic enamel semi gloss. It's not high temp paint - just regular, and I havn't had any problems with it at all - looks great. Those parts just wont ever get hot enough to require high temp paint. I just went back with all black to match OEM.
I preped everything with a towel soaked in mineral spirits to remove all of the dirt, grease and oil then used a tac cloth to remove the lint before painting.
The only thing i was cautious about painting was the alternator. I tried to not spray paint directly thru the cooling fins and on the windings. Not sure if it would cause a problem or not but wasn't taking any chances

So your whole engine is black??? Hmmm... if not, post up a pic, lemme see.

Question... This may sound stupid so understand the logic before your call me the dumbass I may very well be... Wouldn't a dark paint (black, chevy blue, etc) make the engine retain heat??? Or is that only a solar thing??? I'm thinking that's just a solar thing, but not sure.

Edit: I'm thinking of doing the valve covers, intake, timing cover, water pump, steering pump, alternator, etc in gloss red and leaving the intake manifold, heads, block, oil pan and carb (obviously) natural. That way if there's any sort of fluid leaks, exhaust leaks, etc I'll be able to see them easier. The sumich is black now and I can't see a damned thing and it leaks like a seive.

CamaroRS92
01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
yes the whole engine is black except the throttle body . didn't paint it.

All black is the way it came from the factory - just stayed with Original color only changed from flat black to semi gloss to give a little shine

I doubt if any color will matter much on heat retention since most of the engine heat is removed by the radiator

Earlsfat
01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah didn't think about the radiator removing the heat (duh).

I think I'm gonna do this, I'll probably use the VHT paint, it's only like $10 a can, probably only get the enamel and clear coat, maybe I'll get the primer too.

Either way I'll post up some pics when it's done.

Thanks.

wrightz28
01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Dude, spray paint and fire = flame thrower. :sly: You trying to off me for RD??? :lol: Seriously, what exactly did you mean?

I didn't mean stoke up a fire and start painting away :screwy: jeez I thought I was the resident pollock :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!