Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 talon esi coil pack connector????

lostsoul74
01-14-2007, 07:21 PM
After takin care of a few sensors, and a valve cover gasket replacement, 96 talon esi is still running a bit rough, good compression in all 4, but when i pulled the plugs to do a compression test, i noticed that the first 2 on left had large 2 inch spark, but hte 2 on the right had barely any spark unless places right against metal, i'm figuring the distributor (ignition coil, coil pack, what ever you want to call it) is bad, swapped the wires around and same, for 15 bucks on ebay, my as well try ya know. But i'm confused on what years are a direct fit, i'm seeing some listed for all 420a motors from 95-99, and some that are only 95-96, and 97-99, is the connection on the side different (harness). Which year is a direct match in both eclipse and talons, thanks guys. theres probobly 8 of em on ebay, but need to know exact years that will be a direct swap without having to modify harnesses ya know. Thanks gents. E

gthompson97
01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't know exactly what years fit what cars, but I know for sure there are at least 2 different connectors. That's why when you buy one from a store, they actually send you a connector to splice in in case you have the wrong one. What I would do is e-mail the seller and ask him to take a picture or describe the connector, that should be good enough. I actually have a couple laying around so if you let me know which connector type you need, next weekend when I'm home I'll check and see if I have the right one for you.

xavier3jr
01-14-2007, 10:41 PM
there is no sertain year i dont really know why mitsu did this there is just 2 diffrent kind of plugs a flat pin and a round pin as shown here on this MSD coil pack.
http://www.420a.cimotorsports.net/

those are the only 2 plugs they have for the 420a motor(RS/GS/ESI)

hope this is some help

lostsoul74
01-14-2007, 11:01 PM
yea guys, taht helps alot, mines a 96 with the round pins up high, sure it's probobly easier to go to advanced auto and get the right one, but they want 90 bucks for what i can get for 10 bucks on ebay... lol. Now that i know the difference, I know what to ask the sellers, thanks again guys, I think this will do the trick now. Not bad, bought it for 400, i got a matched blue/purple terminator wing for 50 off ebay (the abs custom kind, not the cheap metal ones), the two matching 17 low pros for the rear rims (the original ones were bald because someone put them on reverse direction....) for 40 for the pair, so yea, this car will end up costing me just under 500, a nice steal, would of been nice if it was a tsi.... but hey... who can bitch... lol. Thanks again gents, I love forumns, they save me so much time and money. E

david-b
01-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, look at the pins and tell us if they're round or flat. We've got these things laying around. Why bother poking around on ebay and asking sellers questions they don't know when you can tell us what you have.

And now I jsut read you have the round ones. I have flat IIRC. I'm sure someone here will sell you one for cheap with what you need.

gthompson97
01-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that I have both of them, but like I said, if you still need one by the weekend, I think I'll be going back home so I'll check.

lostsoul74
01-14-2007, 11:50 PM
thanks for the offer, i should be all good, i've got 4 questions out on ebay, i'm sure by tomarow i'll have a response and have it purchased and in my hands by thursday, rather spend 15 bucks and have it this week ya know, but thanks again man, you've been alot of help helping me deal with all these minor issues.

Add your comment to this topic!