Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The modeling blues..

adam30k
09-25-2002, 07:30 AM
So as you may know I'm pretty new with modeling, I just got back into the hobby recently, mainly using Revell models. Well I had some damage to my Acura Integra so I packed it away and decided to work on something else. I finished the Viper RT/10 and got a Ford Mustang and a Mini Cooper to work on. Well The Mustang frustrated me to no end and now the Mini Cooper is doing the same. Is it time to make the switch to Tamiya and just put up with the higher prices? I like working on models but this is becoming too much.. nothing fits well, pieces keep on coming unglued and Revell makes a hobby of seeing how hard they can make their instructions. Maybe I need some coaxing to believe that it's the model's fault, not mine. Anybody else just get stuck sometimes working on models?

935k3
09-25-2002, 07:50 AM
We all get stuck and have to go on to something else at times. If your having glue problems could you explain more detail about that. One thing I do is make sure everything is secure before any paint goes on. I add allot of re-enforcement to models such as adding pins to parts at attachment points and plastic tabs(hidden areas)I like models to almost snap together before I glue them. I do allot of this pre-engineering of a model before I even clean up the parts. Try to use a good liquid glue like Pro-Weld to glue up as much as possible before painting. An example glue up the whole Roll Cage before painting. I do not like relying relying totally on glue to hold things together. These things were learned from having the same problems your having now. Test fit everything before painting. Tamiya kits are really better though in the long run. They always fit better and have less to cleanup on parts.

adam30k
09-25-2002, 07:54 AM
The glue isn't a big problem, I think I just need to get some better stuff. It was mainly fit, I think I've done a good job at getting the Revell models with the most problems. I have a plastic cement pen which has worked fine on my Integra and Viper but isn't working good on my Mini. I'll look around for new stuff. Thanks for the tips.. only thing that stinks is I'll need to wait for shipping anytime I want to get new Tamiya models.

sugarcaddy
09-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Hi-
Sorry your having problems with the Revell kits. That Mini Copper has a bad rap on it anyway. Fine Scale Modeler placed it pretty far down on its list of cars. They also stated it had poor fit and other problems, so its not you its the kit. Also you might try Super Glue Gel that is what I have been using lately and I love it.

Scott

primera man
09-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems.
IMO once you get a Tamiya kit you will wonder why you took so long to get one.

adam30k
09-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Tamiya is definitely in my future. The red and blue logo was flashing in my mind as I was fighting with my tools. I'm already purchasing the Honda S2000 as I heard it was a good model to start on, what else is good for a beginner?

935k3
09-25-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by adam30k
Tamiya is definitely in my future. The red and blue logo was flashing in my mind as I was fighting with my tools. I'm already purchasing the Honda S2000 as I heard it was a good model to start on, what else is good for a beginner?

Try the Subaru Imprezza WRX STI kit# 24231. I think you will really like this one.

Lownslow
09-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Why do you guys rag on the MINI?

if you want poor fit and shitty car go out and buy a PALMER kit or a Lindberg kit then get back at me.

you should be happy there is a Mini and a ITR w/engine out there

adam30k
09-25-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 935k3

Try the Subaru Imprezza WRX STI kit# 24231. I think you will really like this one.

Thanks I'll put it on my list.. it's one I'd be interested in doing too. I'm also getting the Skyline R34.. I think this forum needs something besides the stock blue though that you see on the Skylines and WRXs. A yellow WRX sounds good. :D

Guido
09-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by adam30k

Tamiya's Porsche Boxster, I didn't find that one too difficult.

Slippery
09-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Lownslow
Why do you guys rag on the MINI?

if you want poor fit and shitty car go out and buy a PALMER kit or a Lindberg kit then get back at me.

you should be happy there is a Mini and a ITR w/engine out there

I agree with you mate! No one else has bothered to release a new mini! IMO if you have the patience and skills ANY kit can be a showstopper........EVEN a Palmer;)
Good luck with the Tamiya kits mate! I will stick to revell and amt

adam30k
09-25-2002, 10:08 PM
I'm not giving up on Revell since there's still plenty of domestic models but I think I just got stuck with some of the lesser desirable models to build.

Add your comment to this topic!