Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Clear Orange...

speedphreak
01-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I had a mis-hap! Go figure, this hobby begs for them! lol... Anyways, it had to happen on my Tamiya SLR of all models!!!! My clear fisheyed...blah. So, I got 91 percent rubbing alcohol....stripping it right now..anyways. I did the interior a custom mix of flat white, desert yellow and dark yellow.

I have Tamiya Silver Leaf and Tamiya Clear orange synthetic laquer in the cans. Now...can i polish out the clear orange itself or should I used TS-13 over it? Thanks guys!

-Chris.....And yes, I am painting an SLR orange....hehehe!

MPWR
01-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Painting a 'candy color' - clear color over metallic- is very difficult. It's probably the hardest technique to do in body painting. If you spray the orange on in a wet coat it will pull away from corners, edges and panel lines, leaving light patches. Once this happens, it's impossible to correct. The only way to go is with lots and lots of light even mist coats, and don't ever let the paint get wet.

Don't polish the orange- give it a cover of clear and polish that. If you polish a transparent color, you'll wear thin spots in it- they will be easy to see an impossible to fix.

stevenoble
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I only ever sprayed a Candy colour once on a real motorcycle part and remember it was a real pain to do.Putting on the silver basecoat was easy but laying on the clear red (in my case) was not so easy.Getting it to look even was really hard to do and the more coats you applied the darker the colour got.I think MPRW is right when he says to lay the orange on in thin light coats and then use a clear over the top to get your shine.Sounds like the best route to take.

Add your comment to this topic!