Remanufactured water pumps vs. new

90sabre
01-13-2007, 03:22 PM
I need to replace my water pump, there is a big difference in price between reman. and new but wondering about the quality. Thanks!

rhandwor
01-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I've had good luck with rebuilts even with new units you can get a bad part.
If you do your own work they aren't to bad to change. I do use air ratchets which makes a difference.

hundahunta
01-13-2007, 08:54 PM
it's all right, don't forget to also buy the heater bypass o-ring and bypass coolant hose when you change the pump

bamoeller
02-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Remanufactured Pumps don't hold as long of a warrenty, but if its bad it is likely to go out right away. They are also alot cheaper.

fanworks
02-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Personally, I'm in the boat of better to spend a few extra bucks and go new, than take a gamble when I'm 70 miles back in the middle of nowhere on a gravel road.

wafrederick
02-22-2007, 07:32 AM
The reman water pumps do hold up and the o ring for hose hose tube does come with them including the gasket.The ones from Carquest hold up very well.Here is another tip:Instead of scraping the gasket alot,use a die grinder with a stainless steel wire cup that will not hurt the gasket suface.Wear safety glasses and ear protection since the die grinder is loud and the little wires do come out.I do this way a lot if I do not have to do a lot of scraping.The special wrench to get the fan off is a big waste of money,too thin.I use an air hammer with a long bit and position the bit on the flat of the nut and put pressure on it.Hit the trigger and the fan should come loose.

HEMIDAZE
02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
All of the wearable parts are replaced on rebuilt pumps so they are as good as the parts the rebuilder uses on them. Typically the main difference is the warranty. I replaced my last one with a new one from Autozone with a lifetime warranty assuming I would own it for a lifetime. Of course they assume that you won't own the car when it needs another pump......I don't.

wafrederick
02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
You want to know what AutoZone's lifetime warrenty is on their parts,one time only.It is the same way with Advanced.My brother went through that,through Advanced and it was their brake pads.

HEMIDAZE
02-22-2007, 01:02 PM
You are right on brake pads. Their opinion is that if your pads are wore out then something else caused it and want you to purchase another part to fix your problem. I have never had a problem on other parts. I replaced my alternator twice without any problems. I bought a lifetime muffler once from a place that is now out of business. I replaced it every year after that. Even at no charge it was not my idea of lifetime. I purchased a lifetime because I never wanted to do it again, not because they weren't going to charge me.

Add your comment to this topic!