Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

MPG Declines AWD/Brakes Stuck?

leen369
01-13-2007, 11:52 AM
1998 Merc Mountaineer
Over the past year or so I've noticed my car is getting dramatically less mpg's than it used to.
Last week all of suden I heard a banging noise...then a rattling...then a repetitive clicking noise...then it stopped. Took the car to my mechanic & explained what I heard.
He replaced the front link bolts...which DID solve the bottoming out I had been feeling for about a year but NOT the noise problem.
Took car back today & test drove it with him & hooray! He heard the noise I was talking about but could NOT immediately identify it.
What concerned him was the "drag" of the car...he thought perhaps the AWD was stuck.
I reminded him about the excessive wear he noticed on my brake pads recently which he had not been able to figure out.

History:

1/05 - All new brakes (rotors & pads)
2/06 - All new tires & alignment
9/06 - new ABS sensor & new brake pads (ALL were EVENLY & COMPLETELY worn )
12/06 -replaced transfer case
1/07 - replaced front link bolts

Anybody have any ideas at all as to what could be causing this dragging & reduced gas mileage?

shorod
01-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Have the rubber brake hoses been replaced? The rubber brake hoses deteriorate from the inside out, and this deterioration is accelerated if the fluid is not flushed and replaced annually as recommended. Often, the hoses will collapse inside and act as a one-way valve. The ABS pump and/or master cylinder provides enough pressure to force open the collapsed hose, but the caliper does not have enough pressure to force the fluid back to the master cylinder. This causes the brakes to remain applied and could cause the dragging and accelerated brake pad wear.

I would suggest replacing the rubber brake hoses and seeing if that helps. It certainly won't hurt. Since the brake system will need to be bled anyway after installing the new hoses, flush the system (including the ABS pump) with fresh brake fluid.

-Rod

leen369
01-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Rod,
Thanks for the help.
The brake hoses have NEVER been replaced & as you might have guessed I don't flush the brake fluid annually.:banghead:
I'm gonna give this a try, thanks.
Eileen

Add your comment to this topic!