a/c leaking fluid

randy_vargas
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 slt lar... 4wd, I have a problem with my A/c, I recharge the system at least once a month depending on the usage, and I've noticed that on the port at the firewall on the engine compartment passenger side is leaking not water, an oily substance. It don't have a odor per say, but it is oily and after a couple of days of not been used there a smell of 134 comming from the vents, it goes away after a few minutes of running the system. At the same time i noticed the A/c clucth as time goes by runs less and less until it wont run at all, until I recharge the system once again. Does any body have an idea of possible causes? Heater core Blower motor...?

MT-2500
01-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 slt lar... 4wd, I have a problem with my A/c, I recharge the system at least once a month depending on the usage, and I've noticed that on the port at the firewall on the engine compartment passenger side is leaking not water, an oily substance. It don't have a odor per say, but it is oily and after a couple of days of not been used there a smell of 134 comming from the vents, it goes away after a few minutes of running the system. At the same time i noticed the A/c clucth as time goes by runs less and less until it wont run at all, until I recharge the system once again. Does any body have an idea of possible causes? Heater core Blower motor...?

To be sure if it is a R-134A leak you need a R-134a sniffer or run a dye leak test.
But if it is leaking R-134a and ac oil in that area it is time for a new AC evaporator core before you burn up the ac compressor.

randy_vargas
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Replace the evaporator and system is running good thanks, it took a while about day 1/2. When i took it off it look pretty nasty in there and very dirty.

Add your comment to this topic!