car not starting, frozen gas?

chevyguy93
01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
so its -47 Celcius (-57F) today in winnipeg, and i didnt have my car plugged in. I went out to start it, doesnt start. When you turn the key, the battery has good power, and the engine turns, but it doesnt go. Its as if the gas line is frozen. Is that possible?

Ooh. and yesterday i drove into a curb at 70km/h. But i dont think thats the problem =D

chevyguy93
01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
okay so nevermind. i finally got it to start. now, for some reason, my BRAKE light is on. normally it comes on when my parking brake is on, but its not.

Schister66
01-12-2007, 04:09 PM
i feel ya...its -18F here in Fargo....this sucks, but its better than Winnipeg...lol

chevyguy93
01-12-2007, 04:53 PM
it sucks so much! i just came inside to get warmed up. My antifreeze was all frozen. It took me forever, starting and stopping the car, to get it to unfreeze and actually flow through the engine. I poured a little more in to make it more stronger, hopefully it helps. I do have a problem tho. a) my daytime running lights decided they dont want to work, and b) my parking break light is on. Whats wrong??

MT-2500
01-12-2007, 05:54 PM
it sucks so much! i just came inside to get warmed up. My antifreeze was all frozen. It took me forever, starting and stopping the car, to get it to unfreeze and actually flow through the engine. I poured a little more in to make it more stronger, hopefully it helps. I do have a problem tho. a) my daytime running lights decided they dont want to work, and b) my parking break light is on. Whats wrong??

It may be cold or something stuck:grinyes:
Parking brake on or stuck will shut off Day time running lights.
Check brake fluid level and brake operation and watch for emg brake stuck on or dragging..
Get car warmed up good and drive it and see if it goes off.
Good luck

chevyguy93
01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
parking brake shuts off daytime running lights? i never knew that...

ive been driving around for a while, and it hasnt gone off, its still on. Brake fluid level is okay, and brakes seem fine. Only problem is they are little sensitive, but they always were in the cold.

MT-2500
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM

ive been driving around for a while, and it hasnt gone off, its still on. Brake fluid level is okay, and brakes seem fine. Only problem is they are little sensitive, but they always were in the cold.

I not a 100 percent sure on yours on the parking brake on shutting of DRL lights but a lot of them do.
Give it time to thaw out.
You may have a brake cable stuck a little.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
And like the old TV add plug it in and keep it warm.:grinyes:
MT

MT-2500
01-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Just a additional note on the DRL.
I just checked on a 2000 Camry.
With emg brake on and start engine and put in gear no DRL.
Take emg brake off and DRL comes on.
Put emg brake back on in gear engine running and DRL stays on.
You can not shut them off while engine running with emg brake.
But engine off and with emg brake on then start engine and they will not come on untill you release emg brake.
Hope that all makes sense. :lol: :grinyes:
Good Luck MT

drindle
01-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Ooh. and yesterday i drove into a curb at 70km/h. But i dont think thats the problem =D

perhaps that has something to do with the brake light being on???

muff34
01-12-2007, 10:48 PM
perhaps that has something to do with the brake light being on???my thoughts also .curbs and 45 M.P.H don`t seem to be a good thing ........LOL
but on a lighter note ya likely just the cold. Wait till temps warm up and then watch for the front end issuses to crop up ,if they haven`t already

Dr.Mambo666
01-12-2007, 11:58 PM
just for the info gas doesnt freeze until it get to -257 degrees or sumthinlike that

millrtime
01-13-2007, 02:41 AM
well im sure the e-brake is causing the drl problem. on all cavy's if u pull the e-brake up while car is in a drive gear, i.e. reverse, drive, or any gear in between, the drl's shut up. i know this from experience cuz its kinda hard to sneak up on ppl to t/p them if ur lights are constantly on. i would just give ur brakes a chance to thaw out and see what happens from then on....oh and have fun with ur alignment and all that stuff to work its way out from hitting the curb, cuz im sure it knocked something loose.

chevyguy93
01-13-2007, 03:09 PM
okay. so now i figured out that the lights arent on because the brake light is in. Now. why is my brake light on? Lmao! My father jacked up the car on all ends and checked the wheels, etc, and didnt see anything wrong. The brake fluid level is good, and everything appears to be okay. Why is the light on?! I dont think its got to do with the e-brake lever, because when it was dark outside, i pulled up on the lever, and the light got a little brighter (was getting more power, suggesting that the lever was not the problem)... erg!

chevyguy93
01-13-2007, 03:11 PM
well im sure the e-brake is causing the drl problem. on all cavy's if u pull the e-brake up while car is in a drive gear, i.e. reverse, drive, or any gear in between, the drl's shut up. i know this from experience cuz its kinda hard to sneak up on ppl to t/p them if ur lights are constantly on. i would just give ur brakes a chance to thaw out and see what happens from then on....oh and have fun with ur alignment and all that stuff to work its way out from hitting the curb, cuz im sure it knocked something loose.
well nothing bad has happened yet. i was driving on the highway yesterday and the alignment was beautiful lmao. I dont know how many things ive hit with this car.i just cant seem to destroy it. =D not that i want to, but you get my point. its indestructable. :p

MT-2500
01-13-2007, 06:21 PM
okay. so now i figured out that the lights arent on because the brake light is in. Now. why is my brake light on? Lmao! My father jacked up the car on all ends and checked the wheels, etc, and didnt see anything wrong. The brake fluid level is good, and everything appears to be okay. Why is the light on?! I dont think its got to do with the e-brake lever, because when it was dark outside, i pulled up on the lever, and the light got a little brighter (was getting more power, suggesting that the lever was not the problem)... erg!

Good testing on the E brake light. That shows it is working.
I would move on to the brake fluid level sensor.
If it has a float in the plastic tank pull or make sure it is up.
If the other type dry sensor in the bottom of the fluid tank.
Make sure it is plugged in good. If so take a test light or jumper wire and jumper it and see if brake light goes out.
If light goes out you have a bad fluid level switch.
Let us know how it goes.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!