Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 Cierra shudders and dies...........

IHman
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Here is the setup.....88 Olds Cierra, 2.8L, auto tranny. Actually belongs to my daughter. She told me of it running rough and stalling. I couldnt get it to duplicate the problem. Did notice it was idling rough. New plugs and wires. Idle is now smooth. Checked fuel pressure, steady at 40 psi, rises to about 45 when shut off ( I am assuming due to the heat of the engine). No here is the real kicker.....drove it last night about 12 miles down the interstate at 70-75-80-70, no problems at all. Coasted off of the highway and came to a stop behind another vehicle. At this time it shook violently and died. Immediately shifted into neutral, restart, just as smooth as before. Shift back into Drive, violent shudder and dies. Continues to do this for 3-4 starts, then I am able to drive off. The tranny fluid is not a bright red, cut does look to be red and does not have a burnt smell to it. However, it is a bit low. Will be heading to the parts place to get some tranny fluid. Would the low fluid level in the tranny cause it to shudder and die? I added about a half a pint and it seems to be probably another full pint short if not a bit more.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

valvebody
01-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Sounds like the tcc solenoid is shorting out. Try unhooking the plug to the transmisssion. If it does not stall, then you need to replace the tcc solenoid. Hope This Helps, Wayne

Add your comment to this topic!