Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Interchangeability of inner door panels (1994 Achieva SC)

NoEcm
01-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I just received a 1994 Achieva SC (2 Door). The car runs great and is in excellent condition except for both of the inner door panels. Both inner door panels are shot (destroyed) from being removed. I will need to replace both inner door panels.

Can anyone tell me what year inner door panels are interchangeable with a 1994 SC? (and also are there any other GM models that might interchange?)

Thanks!!!

MobyTruck
02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Yea...good luck. I have a 95 4 door and the door panels have delaminated badly. I've tried all the junk yards and theirs are either in worse shape or wrong configuration (manual windows, etc). I checked with the dealer a few years ago and they said they had some but they would be over $300 each and would probably do the same thing in a few years. I'm going to remove mine and see if I can somehow fix them.

NoEcm
02-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I actually found a pair of door panels at a wrecking yard that worked for $40 each. They were off a 1995 and the color matched perfectly. If your panels are a dark grey (almost black) the only ones that will color match will be from from a 1994 and 1995. In 1996 the door panel design changed.

This is what I have learned from my 2 door on removing (and installing) the door panels:

The 2 plastic covers just inside the outer door mirrors need to be removed. In a 1994 these are very tiny torx screws.

Next, the bezels for the inside door handle used to open the door need to be removed. One phillips screw for each.

Then there is the little plastic trim piece on the top of the door panel towards the rear where the seat belt enters into the door panel that needs to be removed.

At this point you may want to remove the electrical door and window switches. They can also be unplugged after you get the door panel off but there is a limited amount of space to work in. If you have manual windows remove the crank handles at this point.

At the bottom of the door panel are 5 - 7 screws that hold the bottom of the door panel to the door. Remove these first.

Then there are 2 hidden screws; one is behind the little red reflector towards the back of the door and there is a vertical screw that is towards the middle of the door just underneath the door pull. Remove these.

Inside the door panel:
There are 4 (to 6) serrated male pins that hold the door panel to the door. If these are broken they can be replaced for less than a $1.00 each.

Inside the door panel there are 2 plastic male studs that are also molded into the inner door panel. One is in the middle towards the front of the door panel and the other is in the middle towards the rear.

Then there are 3 clips across the top of the door panel are "hooked". These "hooked clips" are molded into the inner door panel and they will break very easily if you attempt to pull the door panels off without lifting the panel up ~1" first.

To remove the panels:
Pull the bottom of the inner door panel away from the door, then pull the middle of the door panel away from the door (just enough to clear the 2 male studs from the rubber guide in the door) and then lift the door panel up and then away from the door.

When reinstalling the panels work carefully. The previous owner punched holes in one of the door speakers with the 2 serrated pins that are close the speakers. I chose not to install these 2 pins back onto the door panel until after the panel was hung onto the door.

Use these directions at you own risk. They worked for me a couple of weeks ago on my 2 door but in the course of time I may have forgotten something or left something out.

Good luck, work carefully and slowly.

MobyTruck
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey, thanks for the info. I need to do more than just fix the door panels. The driver side power window works only if the weather is just right and the rider side front door power lock is sticky so I should be an expert at taking the doors apart by the time I get everything fixed. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!