Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Got new outer tie rods...

david-b
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
When I got my new tires and took it in for an alignment, I was told that the outer tie rod on the passenger side. The wheel, when off the ground, could wiggle. They showed me how the tie rod was moving and such. Today I took it in, and they tried it again, same deal. They tried the drivers side again, and it was a little wiggly also. So I got both replaced, and and alignment. $250 for both rods, alignment, and labor. I love those guys.

I thought that the tie rods were the ones making the popping noise when I turn. However, it still continues to make that noise. So now I've replaced the lower control arms and the tie rods, and still the sound persists. What else can that be? Shocks maybe. It's only on the passenger side while making a turn. Grr. It's not a total loss though. I did those tie rods and an alignment badly.

Front: Left Right
Camber: 0.1 0.0
Cross Camber: 0.1
Toe: 0.08 0.03
Set Back: -0.37

Rear:
Camber: -1.2 -1.2
Toe: 0.11 0.13

Very badly needed it. She still pulls to the left, so I'm going to take it back in next week. Got a 6 month warrenty with it. Any other ideas on what the popping noise is? Thanks

Blackcrow64
01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Balljoint?

gthompson97
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Were the control arm bushings replaced when the control arms were replaced? I had to replace a set on a grand am and anytime you would turn or hit the brakes it would make a popping noise.

david-b
01-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Were the control arm bushings replaced when the control arms were replaced? I had to replace a set on a grand am and anytime you would turn or hit the brakes it would make a popping noise.

When they got replaced, new ones came with. Even afterwards I took to the dealer bc of the recall and they resealed them and checked them out also. So I'm stumped.

NOFX0617
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
You said it happens when you turn...does it only happen when you turn a certain way or just turning no matter what direction?

gthompson97
01-11-2007, 05:29 PM
And how about when you turn just sitting there, or only when you're driving?

david-b
01-12-2007, 08:33 AM
It doesn't happen all the time. Happens when turning mostly, but will do it also when accerlating sometimes too. It's actually worse now since yesterday. I'm going to take it back in one day and have the alignment fixed and to see if they can find what it is. I'm stumped.

Talking to one of my buddies yesterday, his cousin had a car that also made a popping noise just like mine. She spent over $800 on just that one side to try to fix it. Ball joints, arms, struts, axles, and it still did it. He said it sounds exactly the same as mine. Grr. That kinda makes me angry.

gthompson97
01-12-2007, 11:42 AM
When you bring your car to get an alignment, see if they can put it up on a lift to get all the wheels off the ground, then just grab every suspension component you can see and jerk the shit out of it, something has to be loose/banging around.

david-b
01-13-2007, 10:12 AM
That's what they did when they saw that the tie rods were bad. I was there watching them. Nothing made that noise. The only thing that showed any signs of stress and ware were the tie rods. Do you think the struts could be causing it?

alphalanos
01-13-2007, 10:17 AM
popping sound= cv joints?

gthompson97
01-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Struts could cause it if one was very badly fucked up, or even if the mounts were loose (which probably isn't the case)

ez1286
01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
popping sound= cv joints?
I concur!

Blackcrow64
01-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Stabilizer bar bushings could be dried out and that could be causing your popping... Did you check that yet?

Mikelb
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I third for CV joints, sounds like a worn outer joint... they clunk/pop when turning... it can also make noises accelerating/decelerating... especially when it's a sudden change in speed or direction...

Add your comment to this topic!