Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission kicking... not moving

XMASTERX87
01-11-2007, 01:10 AM
hey. i have a 98 mitsu eclipse automatic.
car was bought about 1 year ago. dealer said that the transmission was rebuild but we didnt bother to think much of it... and about 6 months ago we had a transmission prob, so we got it fixed via AAMCO, and now its messed up again... this is pretty much what i feel...
When the car is put into drive, there is no prob...until i decide to release the brakes... the car slowly begins to roll, then starts kicking as if i was riding a horse... or something.. it move 1 inch at a time... and doesnt move at all...like not even 1 mile per hr... the most i can do is roll... what could that be?? :screwy:
The transmission was changed once before we got it, once 6 months in, and now... is this common in eclipses?? what could it be?? its really annoying... and i kinda need my car to get to work... :banghead:

NOFX0617
01-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Do you remember what the problem was with it before and what they did to fix it? Also, what model eclipse do you have RS, GS, GST, or GSX?

XMASTERX87
01-11-2007, 12:13 PM
The mitsu is a GS non turbo... i think the problem last time delt with the torque converter... or some solenoid... not too sure... but definately one of the 2...im gonna go with the torque converter.

gthompson97
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Uhh...have you checked the fluid?

XMASTERX87
01-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Uhh...have you checked the fluid?

of course. thats the first thing i checked... this morning i turned on the car to see if i could move it, then i turned it off... and checked the fluid... and some smoke came out of the dipstick tube.... but it was full.

gthompson97
01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Do you have access to another transmission computer that you could swap in to see if it makes a difference? It may be the TCU.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
With an automatic I believe ur supposed to check the fluid with the vehicle running in park or neutral. Don't shut if off and check the fluid.

gthompson97
01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Correct, you're supposed to wait till the vehicle is at normal operating temperature, cycle through ALL the gears, and then check the fluid with it in park while running.

Add your comment to this topic!