Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C compressor replaced '90 LS400 proper procedure

Docfxit
01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I have a '90 LS400 that I just replaced the A/C compressor & dryer. I vacuumed it out for a couple hours. When I removed the compressor I saw pieces of metal in where the hoses connect to the compressor.

Does anyone know if vacuuming it out will be enough or should I flush the system to be sure?

Thank you,

Docfxit

Two2many
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Im about to change out one on my 93 from a 92 parts car. Hoping it will go smooth along with the harmnic balancer that has decided to separate at 280k. Sounds like you need to flush the system some how but really unsure of procedure.

Docfxit
03-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Im about to change out one on my 93 from a 92 parts car. Hoping it will go smooth along with the harmnic balancer that has decided to separate at 280k. Sounds like you need to flush the system some how but really unsure of procedure.
I am not an expert when it comes to A/C. As you can see there don't seem to be any experts answering my question so I don't think this is the best forum for you to be asking an A/C question.

I would be very leery about using a compressor that has been sitting around. Even a brand new compressor after it's installed on your car should be run to keep the seals from drying out. You didn't specify if anything else was wrong with your A/C besides the clutch. If the compressor died there is probably metal filings and residue in the system that need to be flushed out. To flush it out you need a flush kit, compressed air and flush solution. And then it's not easy. If it's not done right or if the used compressor you use is not good or if you don't replace the dryer or if you don't add enough oil or if you don't vacuum it out or if you don't charge it properly you will not end up with A/C to last you another 280k miles. A/C is expensive. Even if you do it yourself. If you do it correctly you can save yourself some money. If any one part of the operation is not done correctly you will probably find yourself paying someone else to do it in the end plus what you spent on trying to save some money. I suggest you either take a class to learn how to do it correctly or have a Pro do it for you. Please remember, I am not a Pro.

Docfxit

Add your comment to this topic!