Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help identify this sensor

NateS
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I am in the middle of installing my new head and I have to use my old cam gears. I did not have an impact gun handy to remove the center bolt on the cam gears so I had to remove the camshaft and the camgear together. When I took the intake cam/cam gear out there was a sensor right behind the intake cam gear on the outside of the head that I broke. What is this sensor called and where can I get one?

david-b
01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Is it on the opposite side of the gear? That would be the cam angle sensor

NateS
01-10-2007, 06:56 PM
No it is on the same side as the gears. Infact it looks like it sat right behind the intake cam gear.

david-b
01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
I remember that's only on the turbo models. I want to say its the the cam angle sensor. I think Talon69s took a shit and he had problems. I'm not 100% sure.

NOFX0617
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah sounds like the cam angle sensor...its almost in the exact spot as the intake cam gear but on the other side of the head right...

NateS
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Okay quick questions http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/1G/cas.htm I know that is a 1G but, on my 2g head that CAS is not in that location and does not look like that. Instead there is something that looks like a plastic cap that goes in that spot. I am guessing the only place I can get a new cap for that spot is the dealership. Since my CAS is not on the opposite side(where the cap is) I am assuming the sensor I broke(behind intake camgear) is the CAS.

NOFX0617
01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
so its this one right

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/cas.htm

NateS
01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
No, like I said. There is nothing that looks like that installed on that side of my head. There is a black cap in the hole where that CAS would go. The sensor I am talking about is on the same side as my intake cam gear. It is a very small looking sensor.

"Some early 2G DSMs have this sensor mounted on the crankshaft itself" <<Thats me.

defiancy
01-10-2007, 08:19 PM
No, like I said. There is nothing that looks like that installed on that side of my head. There is a black cap in the hole where that CAS would go. The sensor I am talking about is on the same side as my intake cam gear. It is a very small looking sensor.

"Some early 2G DSMs have this sensor mounted on the crankshaft itself" <<Thats me.

Yep, that would be more correctly called the Crank Angle Sensor.

NOFX0617
01-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Sorry I read that wrong...and if its on the head then it wouldnt be the Crank angle sensor would it? I know mine is down on the crank. I am really not sure though man... I just got done taking my entire head and block apart and I dont remember any sensor right there...

defiancy
01-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Sorry I read that wrong...and if its on the head then it wouldnt be the Crank angle sensor would it? I know mine is down on the crank. I am really not sure though man... I just got done taking my entire head and block apart and I dont remember any sensor right there...

If it's on the head than it's the Cam Angle Sensor

gthompson97
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Yepp. Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) if it's on the end of the head. A picture would verify if you could get one.

NateS
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Camshaft posistion sensor makes sense. I just took another look at the head and the sensors. On the left side(facing car from front of car) where the CAS pictured in the links is, there are wires ran there for a sensor but there is a connecting wire that goes into it then runs down towards my block where I am guessing the CAS is located. THEN on the right side where my camgears are there are wires ran to a very small looking sensor that mounts directly behind my intake camgear. I am going to go to advanced auto and ask for a cam posistion sensor and see if it looks like what I need. Thanks for the help everybody.

Kinda wierd from all this I've learnt that the different year DSMs have alot more differences in them then I thought.

Add your comment to this topic!