Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ford Taurus 2002 Airbag light

Mickjorr
01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I have a Ford Taurus 2002 with an airbag light problem. When I start the car the airbag lights but won't turn off. Any Idea what the problem may be? Thanks, Mick

shorod
01-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Next time you start the car, pay close attention to the light for the first minute or so. It should flash out a pattern. For example, flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, long pause, etc. would indicate a code 32. After some amount of time (30 seconds, 1 minute, I don't remember) the lamp will stop flashing and just remain on.

If you can post back with any Lamp Fault Codes, we can try to help you narrow down the issue.

-Rod

Mickjorr
01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks, I'll check it this evening and get back to you. Mick

Mickjorr
01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Rod, The light flashes three times then pauses and then flashes 4 times. It is then repeated several times then stays on constantly. Mick

shorod
01-09-2007, 09:22 PM
That would indicate a code 34. Per the factory service manual, Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Lamp Fault Code (LFC) indicates Safety Belt Pretensioner Status (Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Failure).

Have you had this car since new, or has this code been there awhile? There are seat belt pre-tensioners that, when activated by a crash, tighten, or pre-tension, the seat belts. Many times these are explosive charges and are therefore a one-time use device. A good pre-tensioner should fall within a specific resistance range. If the circuit is out of this range, the code 34 is activated.

A high-end scan tool capable of monitoring the airbag system could help you determine if this is likely a wiring fault, or a pre-tensioner fault by displaying the resistance reading that the computer is receiving. To really determine if this is likely a wiring issue or an actual faulty part, you will need to get the resolution provided by the proper scan tool.

-Rod

Mickjorr
01-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks Rod, The car was purchased used with the problem. Everything about the car is fine it's just the air bag problem. You mentioned that it could possibly be the seat belt tensioner. Is this an expensive repair? I am fighting with the dealer to get it fixed (at their cost). I will keep you posted with the results. Again, thank you for your input. Mick

shorod
01-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I honestly don't know how expensive of a repair the pre-tensioner would be. If the part failed on its own, not due to an accident, it might fall under a different, longer manufacturer warranty. If it was due to an accident and you bought the car as-is, then it will probably be up to you to fix, unless it was negotiated (in writing) in the purchase agreement.

-Rod

way2old
01-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Air bag and seatbelts are minimum coverage of 50,000 miles or 5 years (whichever occurs first). If the light was on when purchased, the dealer should be responsible for the repair.

Mickjorr
01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks to all for helping me out. The problem was infact a defective module and a seatbelt pretensioner. The dealer didn't want to fix it, but finally agreed to at their cost. If I didn't have knowledge of the problem (from you) I would have been at the mercy of the dealer. Just a note; when a dealer says they can't help solve the problem ask to speak to their manager and keep going up until you get satisfaction. Mick

keroo_c
01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I've been having this same error for a long time. I spoke to a mechanic at a dealership who didn't seem 100% trustworthy, and he told me that if there is ANYthing causing the airbag light to blink, then the airbags won't deploy. Does this sound right?

On the one hand, I can't afford the repair cost he quoted me, on the other hand, I can't afford to be driving around without airbags.

shorod
01-24-2007, 12:59 PM
There is a high liklihood that if the light is flashing, the airbags won't deploy. If the SRS computer determines that the Supplemental Restraint System is not reliable, it may deactivate it to prevent accidental discharge. I'm not sure that in all cases, an SRS error will cause the SRS computer to deactivate the airbags though. I'd have to refer to the owner's or service manual.

-Rod

keroo_c
01-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you. I'm actually about to go start talking financing on a new car. I think my Taurus and I have had just about enough of each other.

mwt878991
01-27-2007, 08:51 AM
A little off topic but if your ABS light is on your ABS won't engage either

Mike
:smokin:

sphardrocker
04-22-2009, 12:27 AM
I also have a 2002 Ford Taurus with the airbag light on. The light also flashes 3 times, pauses, flashes 4 times, and repeats. Also the car has a salvage title so yes it has been in a wreck, but that was over 30,000 miles ago. So is this light caused by the crash or faulty equipment? Is there a way I can fix this myself? or should I take it to the dealership? Sorry to bombard ya with several ???'s but I jus wanna save as much money as possible.

shorod
04-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the forum!

The pretensioner was likely activiated by the prior accident, but not know the history of the wreck or when the light came on, that's a guess.

As for addressing if you can fix this yourself, you're the only one that can judge that. How much experience do you have working on the interiors of cars? Do you have access to a service manual that give the cautions of working on this system? Do you have the appropriate tools?

Your safest bet would be to take the car to the dealership or a body shop (I'm not sure which would be cheaper) to have the repair done, but depending on your skills and tools, you may be able to do it yourself. I haven't tackled one of these so I can't speak to what's involved or any "gotchas."

-Rod

sphardrocker
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Now that I know what the code is for I'm not as scared to drive it now. I was thinking maybe the airbag was likely to explode in my face. However, for now I will jus drive my truck until I save some money to get it fixed by a pro. Thanks for helping. Your earlier posts on this subject really answered my questions.

rizzah
05-17-2009, 12:21 AM
I am having a similar issue with the airbag light coming on, then flashing several times. I just wanted to get some confirmation--does this mean the airbag is at risk of engaging while i am driving?

shorod
05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Read back through the posts on this thread, they explain how to decipher the flashes of the SRS light.

What it typically means is that the airbag will not deploy, even when needed. There should be enough safety measures implemented to prevent the bags from inflating accidentally.

-Rod

cmon
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I have a 2002 Sable that the air bag light flashes 4x pause then 2x more. Any ideas?

shorod
03-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the forum!

That would be a Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 42, which for the 2002 Sable means, "Restraint System — Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Failure)." The place to start would be to remove the mounting bolts for the sensor, then clean the mounting locations of the sensor, car body, and bolts, then reinstall to see if they sensor was just not getting a good ground.

Beyond that you'll need a wiring diagram and multimeter so you can start taking some measurements to determine where the problem lies.

-Rod

cmon
03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks allot I'll start from there and see where it takes me.

Chukumann
03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi,

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with air bag lights on after an accident. There are four blinks - pause - two blinks. It does this for about 3-4 times and then stays on. Can you tell me what the code/problem is? Appreciate your help.

shorod
03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the forum! That would be a Lamp Fault Code (LFC) 42. I'm pretty sure the LFC 42 has been addressed on this forum previously. Try searching the Taurus forum, if you don't have luck, let us know and we'll get you the information.

-Rod

shorod
03-14-2012, 12:43 PM
See if this search results page (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=4072744) works for you.

-Rod

Chukumann
03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks Rod...Can you tell me how this problem can be resolved? Is there a fuse that needs to be replaced? Where can I find the Restraints Control Module? Appreciate you help!

shorod
03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
I'd suggest you start with the steps that are mentioned in post #20 above, or in at least one of the threads that will show up if you click on the hyperlink in post #24 above.

-Rod

Chukumann
03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks Rod, I'll try those steps. Can you tell me where the module is located? Is it under the driver's seat on the 2002 Ford Taurus?

shorod
03-16-2012, 06:45 AM
I searched the Ford Taurus forum for "LFC 42". Of the 4 hits, this one (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=899568&highlight=lfc+42) seemed most useful.

-Rod

danielsatur
09-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Also see Similar Threads -
SRS Code 22 -AF www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1081853 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1081853)
SRS Code 33 -AF www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1080246 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1080246)

Notes-
If the SRS Light is On, the SRS system is disabled.
If not from an accident, it could of been spillage from your favorite drink.
If the SRS is throwing a code, the RCM is doing it's job! save yourself RCM $500!
There's plenty of cheap seat buckle pretensioner, seat occupant, and crash sensors in the bone yard.

Add your comment to this topic!